Constructive Criticism Please

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Theansweristea

Constructive Criticism Please

Post by Theansweristea » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am

Ok so please be nice, but this is my first render and I would like some feedback to improve it.

The issues I have with it are...
• sky (generally) and the background needs a horizon
• mirror should be reflecting something - does twilight render do this automatically or do I need to photoshop?
• downlights - not sure if I have positioned them correctly the light source is 10mm below the surface of the light fitting
• textures, I used a few textures that look great close up but you can't see from this view, e.g. the wool on the throw, leather on the mirror frame, marble on the table tops and the ceramics... these have all ended up looking flat (apart from the throw which looks shiny even though I used the fabric template with 5% shine) so I'm not sure what to do about these?? (I want to maintain the view setup)
• window frames need more detail

Thanks.
Attachments
210110 Lounge Lighting Test_Scene 1 high.jpg
210110 Lounge Lighting Test_Scene 1 high.jpg (249.57 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Constructive Criticism Please

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 pm

Theansweristea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am Ok so please be nice, but this is my first render and I would like some feedback to improve it.
:welcome: Theansweristea
Theansweristea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 amThe issues I have with it are...
• sky (generally) and the background needs a horizon
You can use a spherical sky or use a large plane with an image texture applied that is positioned like a billboard outside of the window in the distance - this is very common practice and works great.
Theansweristea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am• mirror should be reflecting something - does twilight render do this automatically or do I need to photoshop?
Apply the mirror Template material to your mirror if it is not working automatically. In Twilight Pro templates are applied automatically with all of the default SketchUp materials.
Theansweristea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am• downlights - not sure if I have positioned them correctly the light source is 10mm below the surface of the light fitting
First thing would be to set the radius for your light objects to much smaller and then move them up into the cylinder of your light fixture. Please watch our video tutorials and / or read these posts on lighting.
:!: Quick lighting tip: Spot lights render fastest of all light sources in all render setting modes, so mastering spot lights will be most valuable time spent.
:!: Quick rendering tip: Render with Easy01-03 for test render settings on low resolution for light checking, like 900px wide, and do your final client-presentation images with Easy 09 on higher resolution, because you don't have to worry so much about optimization of materials or lights or render settings with Easy09. So, sure it renders a little slowly, but saves you time spent on learning and optimization so you can focus on your job, not on the rendering. That said, these days a render machine should have a minimum of 8 threads/4 cores and 12 threads/6 cores and above is of course even better.
  1. Diagram of a Spotlight
  2. Soft Shadow Radius for Sun, Spot, Point Lights IN DEPTH
  3. Light Emitter v. Spotlight in a downlight (can light)
  4. Color of Lights / Light Render Speed Comparison
  5. Pointlight or Spotlight vs Light Emitter Material
  6. Light Emitting Surface Options
  7. Lights - render times...
Theansweristea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am• textures, I used a few textures that look great close up but you can't see from this view, e.g. the wool on the throw, leather on the mirror frame, marble on the table tops and the ceramics... these have all ended up looking flat (apart from the throw which looks shiny even though I used the fabric template with 5% shine) so I'm not sure what to do about these?? (I want to maintain the view setup)
This is likely to do with the lighting in the space which appears too strong and likely washing out details. Please watch our 6 Essentials video tutorial series.
Theansweristea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am• window frames need more detail
The better and more properly built/detailed the model, the better the rendering. A rendering will not add detail to an image that does not exist in the model, but rather, it will show more clearly how weakly or strongly something has been modeled. ;)

Theansweristea

Re: Constructive Criticism Please

Post by Theansweristea » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am

Hi Fletch, thanks for the comments and the links. I did watch the startup videos but I will go through them again! haha. I will post an update in due course. thanks for taking the time to comment. :)