The Disintegration Machine

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

The Disintegration Machine

Post by tuna57 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:14 am

Inspired by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle short story "The Disintegration Machine" . My interpretation of Theodore Nemor's machine for world dominance !
Rendered at 2400 x 1413 px. , Easy 10 , 100 passes. Took about 19 hours on the iMac :shock: . Chose Easy 10 mainly because of the three foot tall prism in the scene. Wasn't real sure what to expect with that thing. Most of the materials used were taken into the Deep Material Editor for layering in "dirt - grunge" maps. Post pro in Gimp. Yes it is dark like a lot of my stuff. One issue I run into with this type of scene if I crank up the exposure to high the light reflections on the wall start to blow out real bad. Suggestions ? F.Y.I. the render was saved with Twilight exposure dialed up to 2.5. Also added a little lens blur in post pro. :hat:
Attachments
disintegration machine_PP.jpg
disintegration machine_PP.jpg (445.67 KiB) Viewed 8836 times
TwilightPro V2.11

tuna57

Re: The Disintegration Machine

Post by tuna57 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 am

Forgot to add beside the point lights over the bench and machines there are three windows with sky portals to the left of the camera view. Cheers :whistle:
TwilightPro V2.11

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:00 pm

I cannot see the image very well on my iPad (an older one) but from the SU version I saw on the SketchUcation site, I know the details are very good. I suggest you watch Fletch's Post Processing tutorial. It is very good and I think it will give you some good ideas for controlling the lighting. :gj: :hat:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 pm

tuna57 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:14 am Inspired by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle short story "The Disintegration Machine" . My interpretation of Theodore Nemor's machine for world dominance !
Rendered at 2400 x 1413 px. , Easy 10 , 100 passes. Took about 19 hours on the iMac :shock: . Chose Easy 10 mainly because of the three foot tall prism in the scene. Wasn't real sure what to expect with that thing. Most of the materials used were taken into the Deep Material Editor for layering in "dirt - grunge" maps. Post pro in Gimp. Yes it is dark like a lot of my stuff. One issue I run into with this type of scene if I crank up the exposure to high the light reflections on the wall start to blow out real bad. Suggestions ? F.Y.I. the render was saved with Twilight exposure dialed up to 2.5. Also added a little lens blur in post pro. :hat:
Maybe the prism is working accurately, but maybe needs some artistic "love". There is a "crystal" material that glows that would maybe look better, and Easy 09 could then be used to render more quickly.

Subject: Crystal that glows, like a chandelier
Fletch wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:47 pm Need a glowing crystal chandelier look?

Here's a material library I created one time for my own crystal chandelier - this Crystal that glows will add some render time, but looks good with Easy 09 or Easy10 render settings. If used with Easy 1-7 it will significantly add to render times!
  1. Paint any face in your SketchUp scene with a material or color, and modify the name in SketchUp for the material to be "Crystalglass"
  2. unzip file contents from "CrystalGlowing.mat.zip" to a folder called "CrystalGlowing.mat" creating this folder in any folder or directory on your network you choose. This folder should only contain 3 files CrystalGlowing.names, CrystalGlowing.previews, CrystalGlowing.xml
  3. in SketchUp go to the "Extensions" pull-down menu or "Plugins" pull-down menu and find "Twilight V2">Options.
  4. Inside the Options Dialog for Twilight Render V2, select the "Directories" option on the left column, then click the "+" button to add a new directory for Twilight Render V2 to monitor for material libraries and browse to the folder where you placed the folder called "CrystalGlowing.mat". Inside that folder should be 3 files only which had been in the zip file you download from here.
  5. Now in SketchUp, on the Twilight Render toolbar, choose the Material Tool and select the face you have painted in your scene called "Crystalglass" and inside the "Template Material" dialog box for Twilight Render V2 choose the "Tools" pull-down menu.
  6. Choose "Import Library" and answer "yes" to the question "Do you want to replace the existing Template with a library material?"
  7. Now the Material Libraries dialog should show up, and on the left a set of folders, several were pre-loaded by default when you installed Twilight Render.
  8. Scroll down the list of Material Libraries available and choose the "CrystalGlowing" folder which should have been populated if the folder you created is set up correctly. Then double-click any of the icons to apply that material library material to your face in your scene.
See example scene for the set up, be sure to provide some emitters inside for the light bulbs of the fixture.

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:58 pm

Thanks ntxdave.

Thanks for the input Fletch. Going to check into your crystal chandelier info. Have to give it a whirl. Got to admit I was a little surprised I didn't get more "pop" from the prism. I used "crown glass" template as internet looking said that was used a lot in prisms. Need to give it another go. :! :^:
TwilightPro V2.11

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 am

Well had another go at this. On Fletch's recommendation tried out the "crystal chandelier" material setups. Did a whole lot of experiments tweaking the various settings. New render was 100 passes Easy 9 , 2400 x 1416 px , 14 hours on the iMac.
Saved the render with 2.0 exposure and also saved an alpha mask of the prism so I could isolate it in post pro. Did quite a bit more mucking about in Gimp with the image than I did with the first one. Better or worse :! who knows . It has been a good learning experience. I did find it interesting how the prism "scattered" the light in this one. :hat:
Attachments
disintegration machine_2.jpg
disintegration machine_2.jpg (421.45 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
TwilightPro V2.11

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:58 pm

Maybe have to boost the emitter power to make it brighter? But it's surely better than the first round. :^:

Another idea might be to try the Neon tube idea?
Subject: Neon Tube Sign Light

Or just glow it up in post in p-shop, something like this?
I don't know what your look is that you're going for. :wall: :lol:
Attachments
disintegration machine_2-glow.jpg
disintegration machine_2-glow.jpg (699.09 KiB) Viewed 8756 times

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks Fletch.... but flames and lightning bolts is a little more than I was looking for :shock: . Going to keep up the experiments until I get were I'd like to be. :whistle:
TwilightPro V2.11

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Well I think I have gotten where I meant to go with this. Did a bunch of experiments in the Deep Material Editor with the prism but just couldn't "crack the nut" so back on to post pro. Really pushed my meager Gimp skills but I think I got there :!
Got a good "glow" on the prism I think and as an extra touch I added Theodore Nemor disappearing into the cosmos above the chair :shock: . You have to read the story....... :whistle: On to something else now :hat:
Attachments
disintegration machine_2_final.jpg
disintegration machine_2_final.jpg (421.95 KiB) Viewed 8455 times
TwilightPro V2.11

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Honest folks THIS will be the last of this :rofl: I promise. Got looking at the last image after posting and :! ! Went back into Gimp and added one more layer to spread the "prism glow" out over the whole image. Good call ? You be the judge
:totgm: :? ..........
Attachments
disintegration machine_2_final2.jpg
disintegration machine_2_final2.jpg (365.38 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
TwilightPro V2.11