light groups proposal

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
that.skpguy
SketchUp: 2022

light groups proposal

Post by that.skpguy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:23 am

I've noticed an opportunity for a new feature that I could suggest for the Twilight team to consider.

For a large scene with complex lighting setup and the need for flexible light adaptation, there isn't a clean way to adjust the lighting on the fly.
I'll give you a scenario, for the scene attached, I've rendered with a dusk lighting setup, but perhaps I also want a mid-day or night-time lighting scenario of the same scene, rather than re-rendering the whole scene for each setup, I've rendered each light group into its own image.

So that let's say I need night-time render, I could put the artificial light groups together and bam, it's done.
Or a mid-day perhaps, then I could just use the HDRI I've already rendered, then add a direct sunlight if I need.
What I'm saying is that perhaps the Twilight team could look into a way to render each light group in parallel and give the user the flexibility to adjust the light quality of each source before exporting, with the adjustment dialogue box that can already be found in the bottom right-hand corner of the existing render window, but for each group (I.e exposure, colourspace, colour temp. etc...).
I've also attached a layers breakdown for illustration.

This also mitigates the pain-point of having to go back to the material/light editor so much between trial and error renders and having the potential to save a lot of time.

If you've read this far, thank you for your time and I hope you give it a thought!

One of your users,
That skpguy.
copper pipe roaster.jpg
copper pipe roaster.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4101 times
copper pipe roaster layers.jpg
copper pipe roaster layers.jpg (911.2 KiB) Viewed 4101 times

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Re: light groups proposal

Post by Mike1158 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:40 am

Interesting proposal, possibly part of the post pro system?

that.skpguy

Post by that.skpguy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Unfortunately not, I've been using pro for the past 2.5 years.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:06 pm

It's definitely an interesting idea. Running multiple simultaneous renderers would slow down the overall render result quite a bit, but that might be ok to have the added flexibility. The only issue is that each render is going to progress at a different rate. Blending the final result of each render is one thing, but trying to do it dynamically while in-progress may give strange results as each render will be at a different point.

We will take it under consideration and experiment with the idea. Thanks for the proposal!

that.skpguy

Post by that.skpguy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:36 pm

Thanks for the consideration, I hope it could be used for something good!