Dual Vanity

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
rangerrick
SketchUp: 15

Dual Vanity

Post by rangerrick » Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 pm

First try with Twilight. I rendered this scene with PhotonMap Med+AA0.3 @ 800x800, I usually use MLT. This took 11 hrs 37 min which surprised me a little as I thought it would be quicker.
Attachments
sink_pmMedAA_685x800_03.jpg
sink_pmMedAA_685x800_03.jpg (244.84 KiB) Viewed 18676 times

Federicospoltore

Re: Dual Vanity

Post by Federicospoltore » Thu May 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Fantastic ! What material did you use for those "sinks" ? I like it a lot ;)

edited: IES for lightning ?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu May 07, 2009 5:38 pm

High or High+ will server you better
even Medium+... because fuzzy tracing is not set properly for this scene in those old KT render settings.

looking like a great scene... when you have a clean rendering. ;)

rangerrick

Post by rangerrick » Thu May 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks Federicospoltore. Yes I used ies lights above and an emitter to the right. The vanities material is set from the template mats-silver then set the shininess to 7.

Fletch, so are you saying High or High+ from the Express > Easy?

rcossoli

Post by rcossoli » Thu May 07, 2009 6:55 pm

good job, is very well made the wall material :shock: with these round
Fletch wrote: old KT render settings.
old? :| I think it retired to kerkythea, I hope not :mrgreen:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri May 08, 2009 4:04 am

@Ranger - yes... from the easy settings. we intend them to sort of cover everything for the user. but we did include the old KT settings for KT user convenience.

I have been refining these settings for months, hundreds and hundreds of test renderings, etc... so using the Easy settings and giving feedback will help me give them the final polish they may need to be maximum usefulness.

turns out to get translucence to work properly you need to enable Volume lighting, and I can not activate Volume lighting from the presets, so Chris will enable it for the next release another way.

the unbiased methods (called 'progressive' in the easy settings should render them no problem. it's the biased methods I'm referring to.)

any "Easy" setting with a "+" means that it has pseudo caustics, and higher fuzzy tracing quality, and higher quality soft shadow tracing.

I am still working on these even tonight... but am grateful for feedback.

rangerrick

Post by rangerrick » Fri May 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks for those tips, Fletch. I attempted a whole scene re-render using Med+ from the Easy but I estimated the time to be as long or longer than 11 hours. I then tried a test render of just the 2 light canisters and the 2 vanities nothing else. After 4 hours it had only rendered 1 3/4 of the light cans so I aborted, although they looked noise free. My final solution was to do a mask render of the light cans and sinks, I used this to select the items in the original render, then ran it through neat image.

Federicospoltore

Post by Federicospoltore » Fri May 08, 2009 8:36 pm

:o
Simply but ver rich scene... perfect mate ! :D Very good work

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri May 08, 2009 10:47 pm

hmm...
if you care to email me the scene, I can try out some render settings I've been working on. (FletchMT at gmail)
this will not be my answer to everyone, but just as friendly tip to a very good rendering artist, I highly recommend getting a corei7 (8 threads!)... they are smokin' w/ Twilight. I can get a hi-res unbiased exterior in 20mins. They are also very affordable...under $1000 or a little more.

I can say that I am liking unbiased methods more and more. but good biased settings are what architects need... good and fast.

if there's fuzzy metal, or soft shadow (a must for photo-realistic work) you can expect to wait for it... can not really speed up good quality there... it's an engine issue... a lot of specular on all materials (a must for realistic mats) will also add render time.

rangerrick

Post by rangerrick » Sat May 09, 2009 3:36 pm

I highly recommend getting a corei7 (8 threads!)... they are smokin' w/ Twilight
Yeah, I'm envious of you guys running those. :P It may happen sooner than later ;)

I'll see about getting this file to you to play with. Could be during the week. Thanks.