Daylit Corner

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
JCA131
SketchUp: 8

Daylit Corner

Post by JCA131 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:38 am

Slotly's last post inspired me to try a simple interior scene without any lights. I know the composition of the scene is pretty random and the image is still a little too dark, but I was happy with how the image turned out. Any comments, criticisms, or tips? Specifically on the materials or lighting? Much appreciated.
Attachments
Statue_Room.jpg
Statue_Room.jpg (723.69 KiB) Viewed 9538 times

fymoro

Re: Daylit Corner

Post by fymoro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:44 am

Nice image, Witch render preset did you use ? I know this armchair !!!
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 am

:rspkt:
I could easily be fooled to believe this is a real photo... :clap:
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

ScottPara

Post by ScottPara » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 am

Nice work.

The window sills seem a bit thick and the exterior needs some color control but other than that it is a nice image.

Any chance you can share the chair model?

Scott

JCA131

Post by JCA131 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Looking at it again, I definitely agree that the exterior needs some color adjustment and the window sills should be thinner. I'm also thinking I should use a different brick outside the windows.

I rendered this on Easy 09 for the entire weekend. I think it was just over 1000 passes by the time I got back to it to stop rendering.

fymoro, I forgot to give thanks and credit for the awesome chair model, so thank you.

Scott, you can find the chair in this model shared by fymoro: http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =13&t=1452

I just edited the materials a bit for this image.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm

the only thing is that it could use a real specular(reflection) map and bump map. (on the floor)

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Very nice. Love the floor!

olishea

Post by olishea » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:08 pm

I like this sun-only lighting. very natural glow.

Are the walls actually textured? or have you applied material template to a flat colour? I find that a very light plaster/stucco texture looks a thousand times better than just colour. you can use a specular map to the texture to create more variation in the reflection.

one thing that sticks out and says CGI to me is the camera angle. It's just a little too tilted IMO. its hard to focus on the mage without moving your head! Yeah the window frame is set too far back from the exteior wall.....we generally place windows 65mm within the aperture as to line up with bricks course outside.

One more thing that really stands out are the sharp edges to the aperture. Try using round corner plugin to bevel the edge.....it will make a huge difference and you will get a nice play of light down the faceted edge, try it and you will see.

If you want a bit more diffuse light; try adding a couple of emitters behind the camera facing into the room. Or even point them backwards so that they are bouncing off the wall behind camera. This will also reduce render time as there is more light. Just a suggestion, I am not saying the image needs it, its just a little trick.

fymoro: from which model is the chair? salon? I love the furniture you use, I always download your models for your gorgeous details! I rarely get chance to do many interior renders but I will definitely be using your work as a resource! cheers :^: [EDIT] OOPS JUST SEEN THE LINK TO YOUR MODEL ABOVE :oops:
Oli