Umbrella by Tim Danaher

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Umbrella by Tim Danaher

Post by Fletch » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:09 pm

This model of "The Umbrella" by Eric Owen Moss was provided by Tim Danaher asking for us to test Twilight with the model. Here is the result by the Twilight Team... Hi-res sky and some tonemapping in post-pro.

Render done with a grass component instanced with Fur Plugin, also used: Solo's Garden Pack flowers, and some weeds also by Solo, modified slightly by us at Twilight Render. Also used Tom's Trees.

Rendered at 2560x2048 on a Vista 64 bit system with only 3Gb of RAM. (corei7)
Attachments
Cam1_Easy09.jpg
Cam1_Easy09.jpg (999.75 KiB) Viewed 18218 times
Cam1_Medium+.jpg
Cam1_Medium+.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 18434 times

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Re: Umbrella by Tim Danaher

Post by shura » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Huh?
Fletch, WIP is the wrong board - this one belongs into SHOWCASE!!!

(piffpaff allez hop, booyaka, zackatoom, ...)

rclub24

Post by rclub24 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 pm

It's amazing...... simply stunning

Thank you for providing the Render Comparisons also as it really shows the impact the lower settings have. But why Easy 9 and not Easy 8?

Also thanks to Tim for sharing this :^:
I don't drink these days as i'm allergic to alcohol.
I breakout in handcuffs!

http://richardobrien.moonfruit.com/

Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Im speechless :!: :!: :clap:

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by d12dozr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:17 am

Epic! That water puddle is an awesome touch :gj:
-Marcus

Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 am

I guess my only negative would be the repitition in the paving texture.....

[Sorry Fletch...couldnt resist :totgm: ]

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:17 am

indeed, Stu. absolutely.
:^: alas, they are not our textures, we only added the veg./water, etc... and made specular/bump maps where needed. ;)

olishea

Post by olishea » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Bloody hell Fletch!!

Im surprised the biased looks better than unbiased.

I'm not so keen on the actual architecture, brash deconstruction, its very imposing and almost disturbing. but the way you have presented it is fantastic. even just the view angle, asymmetric, nice.

I dont understand this bloke to the right, it looks like he's walking across the wall.

your garden has a very "Solo" feel....I know they are his plants....but I mean the wild randomization and mood.

What glass materials have you used.....I am finding common architectural glass does not have enough reflection...everyone keeps pointing it out to me: "ooh where are the reflections, even clients who know nothing about CGI" it seems architectural glass template only reflects at a very sharp view angle.....how can I improve this Fletch it's killing me :oops:
Oli

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:08 pm

You control reflection of glass by changing the IOR number.
Set Architectural Glass>Common> IOR 2.2, and color to white, then darken the color a bit if you wish.
Better yet - try the Twilight Architectural Material Library and the Architectural Thin Glass - It's already set up by careful testing comparing to actual photos of glass and looks quite good in most cases... it is slightly tinted... but often in architecture it is this way.

Reflections only come if there is something to reflect - so using a spherical sky may be necessary to get the clouds for something to reflect. Also, what is behind the glass matters greatly as well. Blinds? Curtains? 100 feet of empty space? all make the glass look different.

There is an Architectural Warped Glass in the same Twilight Architectural material library - and it has a slight wobble to it, so if you have large expanses of glass, it will make it look irregular for you.

Someone asked why Easy 09 was used instead of Easy 08... this is because a requirement for the render was that we use a certain HDR for lighting (we did not like this requirement, but went with it...) And this HDR causes sparkles/fireflies in Easy 08, not in Easy 09.

If rendering an interior, and have a large wall of interior glass (borrowed lite in architectural speak) that you want to see through, but still have reflections on it, then use the Super Thin Glass also found in the Twilight Architectural material library.

ps- Twilight Architectural material library also has a nice zinc metal material (looks best with unbiased renderings)

pss - The guy is walking on a sidewalk behind a glass railing.

olishea

Post by olishea » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm

So the higher the IOR, the more reflective, basically??

Cheers Fletch I knew I was doing something wrong!!

I will make a series of comparative tests and post to the forum, will be a good resource. Thanks again mate :rspkt:
Oli