Livingroom scene

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
flipya
SketchUp: 7

Livingroom scene

Post by flipya » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I've been spending quite some time catching up on the forums, cool to see all the new works, people, tricks etc...

To get back into things after being away from Sketchup for almost four months I decided to give interior-rendering a shot. Both because I've never done it before and was curious, but also to add some interest to my portfolio and hopefully bag some interior-decorator clients :)

As a project I went about redecorating my girlfriend's apartment, since we'll be living there together soon. Later when I muster up the courage the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen will follow.
I must admit I'm not particularly happy about this image just yet (and not just because of the horrible noise), so please give me some tips and/or critique. Just don't be too harsh, it's my first real attempt at doing an interior :oops:

Cheers!

Philip
Attachments
Easy10 10h30m
Easy10 10h30m
livingroom_berlin_resized.jpg (720.26 KiB) Viewed 12109 times
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Livingroom scene

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Really great image, for me! The floor is the weakest point. Could use better/higher res. texture.
Easy 09 will render this scene faster. Easy 10 is for difficult lighting situations with caustics using point lights, etc. It works fine here, too, of course, but Easy09 is probably my "go-to" setting for interiors.

tomyong
SketchUp: Sketchup 8

Post by tomyong » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 pm

You are too humble, I second Fletch's comment,its a great looking first attemp render :clap: :hat: .
Thanks n Rgds
Tom

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
Confucius

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120256485@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomvizual/

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi Philip, I really like the atmosphere of your image , I agree about the floor material nedd to be improved, really nice start, congrats... ;)
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/

JeZ
SketchUp: 8.0 pro

Post by JeZ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 am

hopefully I wont be too harsh :mrgreen:

First, I think your light sources inside the apartment are too strong in comparison with the sunlight.

then, I am not sure but I think the scale of the chair or couch is strange.

For my taste, I think the glow is too strong. The line overlay is a little distracting. And I dont like the carpet color /: :lol:

Your scene feels like it is real, not staged or filled with fake things. It wont need much work before it looks great.

For what it is worth, I think interior scene are rather difficult to render, you have here a better result than I ever been able to do.

Good work.

Jerome

ScottPara

Post by ScottPara » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 pm

I have to agree with much of what Jerome said. It is a great image but it needs a few tweaks.

The scale of a few models seems off (chair and table)
the sofa texture seems really big
The chair leather needs some shine to it
the speakers are too black and lose depth
I would add some mullions to the windows to aslo give them some depth

Overall this image is good. it is just missing the things to make it great.

Scott

flipya

Post by flipya » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the positive and helpful feedback guys!
I refined the model a little, added some more setdressing and upped the reso of the floortexture. Textured some more things (like the leather on the chair) and increased the size of the chair to balance the couch (JeZ, the sizes were accurate but agree it looked weird). Also powered down the artificial light and added a skyportal. The 'glow' mainly comes from the fake DOF and the noisereduction, I'll be more careful with those when I PP the final image.

Rendering now on Easy09, took some work to get it actually rendering but in the end I found there were some huge textures (like a 2900 pixel wide bookcover) and after resizing those the model is now happily baking in Twilight. I'll probably leave it overnight to get as much noise out of it as I can.
Your scene feels like it is real, not staged or filled with fake things
Really like that comment! I tried achieving this by putting stuff in we actually own (like my GF's recordcollection and Technics, the waterpipe, speakers, picture of my sweetie etc) :)

Can't wait to Photoshop the new version :whoot:

EDIT (just saw Scott's message):

Thanks as well for your comments!
The scale of a few models seems off (chair and table)
the sofa texture seems really big
The chair leather needs some shine to it
the speakers are too black and lose depth
I would add some mullions to the windows to aslo give them some depth
Chair has been addressed (both size and texture). Table is rather small yeah, but huge compared to the one that's there now :rofl:
I'll try to fix the speakers in post, already into the render too long now to start over (especially on this 3 year old laptop).
Mullions is a new word for me, thanks! I added some. Unfortunately I'm in Amsterdam now and not in Berlin so no way to get measurement on the real ones, therefore I settled for a really simple setup (you'll see :) )
Last edited by flipya on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

My favorite part? There is no television!

flipya

Post by flipya » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Hehe yeah I'm still getting used to that idea... We sort of made a deal that we will get a mediumsized flatscreen once I move in, but no cableconnection. So only for watching movies :roll:

flipya

Post by flipya » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:10 pm

After rendering for 30 hours on Easy09, and a tiny bit of Postpro, here's the final image (resized beacuse the original is 2000px wide and too large to post here). Maybe I should've lowered the bump on the wallmaterial cos it ended up looking like noise :wall:

Comments very much appreciated of course!

edit: here's a link to the fullsize image...
Attachments
Berlin_done_small.JPG
Berlin_done_small.JPG (733.73 KiB) Viewed 11824 times