My second Twilight render...

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
tomsdesk

My second Twilight render...

Post by tomsdesk » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:32 pm

...man, I love this program!

The first image is post processed...hoping for some of that good C&C. The second is straight off the Twilight stove: .07easy, sunlight 20, f/1...and I have some questions, thanks.

>What caused that red stripe in the tree on the left (it's pretty faint in these low res thumbs but quite there in the 1600 pixel original...see dtl)? Obviously it comes from the light I placed inside the house, bulb size 4 and light strength 2000 (smaller wasn't giving me what I thought wanted), but there isn't a crack in the roof so I can't figure it out. (I also checked to see if the edge of one of the tree component's image pngs was somehow catching the light, but none corresponded to that location.)

>Does adding a camera setting always cause AA to take an ungodly amount of time (compared to how fast the .07easy speed using the SU camera)? This one took nearly 7 hours and the AA alone was nearly 4 1/2 hours (I've done several at this setting using the SU camera and all were around 2 hours, AA being less than an hour).

>Do I not have enough distance between objects to make a DOF difference (I think there would be with a real camera set as such)? I was trying to fuzz up the houses around the subject house, but in .04easy renders I didn't see any difference until I got down to f/1 (and still only the far background house changed noticeably from the SU camera output).

FYI...I set the center house as the Twilight camera target, used SU's little hand to return to the scene setup I wanted, then updated my original scene tab (see I do read a manual now and then :`), then set the f-stop.
tn_bert2a.jpg
tn_bert2a.jpg (122.9 KiB) Viewed 10207 times
tn_bert2.jpg
tn_bert2.jpg (127.73 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
bert2dtl.jpg
bert2dtl.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 10194 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: My second Twilight render...

Post by Fletch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:39 pm

FYI...I set the camera target, used SU's little hand to return to the scene setup I wanted, then updated my original scene tab..., then set the f-stop.
:?
When you use any SU view tools after setting the target, you just changed the focal point and results are not guaranteed.

Here is a GREAT tutorial on using DOF in Twilight Render, but getting your scene set up properly for the exact view you would like.

F2.8 has given me very good luck, but you may even need F16, depends on the scene size and camera placement.

Instead of testing on a complex scene, I suggest setting up a mock up scene with just a few faces or cubes representing the actual placement of different objects in your scene. Play with camera settings in THAT little quick-render scene, then go back to the original scene armed with knowledge on how you want to set up your camera.

Don't forget to change F number back to "pinhole" if you start rendering and everything is blurry and you don't know why. ;)

I'm guessing the tiny red line you are showing is the edge of a leaf plane at just the right angle to render weird... just a guess?

tomsdesk

Post by tomsdesk » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Wow...even the pan tool, huh? Owell, drawing the line isn't that bad and worked great...thank you very much, Fletch!

Now: that red line...?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Fletch wrote:...guessing the tiny red line you are showing is the edge of a leaf plane at just the right angle to render weird... just a guess?
;)

tomsdesk

Post by tomsdesk » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Fletch wrote:
Fletch wrote:...guessing the tiny red line you are showing is the edge of a leaf plane at just the right angle to render weird... just a guess?
;)
Oops missed that, sorry...
tomsdesk wrote:...(I also checked to see if the edge of one of the tree component's image pngs was somehow catching the light, but none corresponded to that location.)...
;)

Maybe a reflection of the edge on the roof then...weird?!?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:08 am

hmm... if so, then it may be an AA issue. When to choose an Easy "+" render setting, it should go away.
Keep us posted.

tomsdesk

Post by tomsdesk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Yes, thanks, I did notice it went away with other settings...it's probably just my SU artifact gremlin messing with me again. :?

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:22 pm

Nice, I like the mood of your render, Bravo,

Fred.
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/