test render (updated 9/5/09)

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
chavinskee

test render (updated 9/5/09)

Post by chavinskee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 am

hi all! just wanted to post a little render i've made using one of our skp models in the office to test the speed & quality of twilight. i must say it's fast (although it's just 800x600p and i'm using a c2quad) taking only 15 min for it to cook. rendered using easy preset 08 for exteriors. i've noticed that when i tested the same model in my c2duo at home, the gui seemed a little sloppy. i guess twilight really needs a good rig for it to work smoothly. anyway, hope u guys like it.

a little update with the image. vertical correction, vegetation, lens flare & contrast in photoshop.
Last edited by chavinskee on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulmc

Re: test render

Post by paulmc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 am

all i can say is wow!. v-... seems to have a new contender! will TR support displacements?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:31 am

good start, Chavinskee! :)

I'm using Twilight on an old-ish Latitude D620(2core) laptop with one of the worst graphics cards on the planet. And I am living proof that you do not need a great setup to use Twilight. I also own a new Corei7 (8-threads) Vista 64bit with good graphics card on my 'other' machine, and everything is MUCH better.

There are some scenes I created on my big machine, that my laptop graphics card simply can't handle. I've scene SketchUp just freeze on opening some of them. This is if there are lots of high quality textures, and the sun/shadows are turned on. If I can manage to open the scene and get the shadows and "view textures" turned off, I can work just fine, and they will render in Twilight just fine. This has little to do with Twilight.

So yes, good graphics cards do make a difference... but they are not a 'show stopper' by any means.

chavinskee

Post by chavinskee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:06 am

paulmc wrote:all i can say is wow!. v-... seems to have a new contender! will TR support displacements?
tnx paulmc! if it weren't for the vertical shift and png output of vray, i'd still be using kt. kt has been my "first love" so to speak. but the additional 2 steps in workflow has been holding me back. with regards to displacement, i think you should be asking fletch and the guys. it would definitely be a plus although i seldom (or never) use it because of the considerable time it adds for a render to finish.
Fletch wrote:good start, Chavinskee! :)

I'm using Twilight on an old-ish Latitude D620(2core) laptop with one of the worst graphics cards on the planet. And I am living proof that you do not need a great setup to use Twilight. I also own a new Corei7 (8-threads) Vista 64bit with good graphics card on my 'other' machine, and everything is MUCH better.

There are some scenes I created on my big machine, that my laptop graphics card simply can't handle. I've scene SketchUp just freeze on opening some of them. This is if there are lots of high quality textures, and the sun/shadows are turned on. If I can manage to open the scene and get the shadows and "view textures" turned off, I can work just fine, and they will render in Twilight just fine. This has little to do with Twilight.

So yes, good graphics cards do make a difference... but they are not a 'show stopper' by any means.
tnx fletch! i guess its just me who's having a problem. :roll: moving twilight's windows tabs is a little sluggish with my home pc. i guess i have to replace my old graphics card. i still hope that vertical shift can be seriously considered in twilight. sure its relatively easy adjusting it in ps using transformation controls like skew or distort but then your original resolution would shrink thereby having to use more post pro just to cover the blank space. i guess my lazy side is always taking control of me. :lol:

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:00 am

looks really great, very nice model.
FRed
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/

Ibon

Post by Ibon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:49 am

I like the perspective and design very much, it remembers me Final Fantasy VII buildings of Midgar :)

chavinskee

Post by chavinskee » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49 pm

@frymoro and ibon: glad you guys liked it. i'm not familiar with the structures in ff, its the one game i never played in playstation. :roll: