Alpha masking for trees

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Rob D

Alpha masking for trees

Post by Rob D » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:26 am

First test render I've done with Twilight was to put this scene through it which has proved tricky with KKT. The trees all clip superbly well out of the box, which in KKT would require some extra work. Thanks for enabling this in TR!

It's a test scene by the Irender Nxt team which they feel is a benchmark. I've no idea what they've done to the house texture tho - it won't even render correctly in KKT with "export photomatch" enabled in the SU2KT exporter :? . Any thoughts?
Attachments
twilight_png_alpha.jpg
twilight_png_alpha.jpg (282.92 KiB) Viewed 8734 times

Solo

Re: Alpha masking for trees

Post by Solo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:37 am

Yeah, that video and model was a viral attempt to sell Renderplus products, see discussion here: http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 80&t=21447
It was disguised as a help tutorial, and called out for it.

Rob D

Post by Rob D » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:34 am

Making all the textures "unique" for the house seems to have fixed it. Here's Med+ (corresponding to KKT Photonmap Med +AA i presume?). Trees come up real good! Soft shadows look nice too :) This is with no material tweaking at all, so I would heartily recommend Twilight simply because it does the alpha map thing.
Attachments
twilight_png_alpha2.jpg
twilight_png_alpha2.jpg (280.96 KiB) Viewed 8717 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Rob D wrote:Making all the textures "unique" for the house seems to have fixed it
yes, that is correct... thanks Rob for the reply. (this is also how to get it to export w/ su2kt as well, I believe, but have not tested it myself.)

This scene is only a benchmark for how to do beginner modeling in SketchUp. :?
If you use the new maintenance release for Twilight and move the clock away from the wall an inch, it, too, will render just fine with Twilight Render.

Rendering SketchUp Sections in Twilight will likely be in the next version (not maintenance release) of Twilight and is already in the works.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Fletch wrote:...Rendering SketchUp Sections in Twilight will likely be in the next version (not maintenance release) of Twilight and is already in the works.
:o
I can hardly wait to see it!
It's been a long time wish for Kerky, too.
Gai...