1st render, Laketop Villa =D

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Thomas

1st render, Laketop Villa =D

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:52 am

Hi!
So I'm all new to this modelling and render thing......
Actually I started to play around with Sketchup a month or so ago, but i havnt really spent too much time on it until the past few days.
This is a render I tried with twilight, please let me know of ways to improve it!

I modelled and most of the things inside, but i took the dining table/chairs and the bar stools from the 3D warehouse.
I realize i forgot to model the lights. What else should I be doing to make it look better?
Hopefully I will have some more presentable renders soon =D

this was after 1hr 25 mins, still rendering right now but I couldnt wait to put this up and get some critics!
Attachments
7 (1 hr 25 min).jpg
7 (1 hr 25 min).jpg (340.4 KiB) Viewed 10661 times

Thomas

Re: 1st render, Laketop Villa =D

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:24 am

i pulled the plug to my comp accidentally while trying to unplug something else behind my desk.....-.-
so i'm not gonna be able to post the 3 hr render i said i would.

after some suggestions from Solo to decrease the light strength and add more lights, here is it again. I also made the light have a bit of color for warmth but its a tad too much, will whiten the next one out a little.
Attachments
8 (1hr 17 min).jpg
8 (1hr 17 min).jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 am

Image seems overly bright, and the blacks are too black... I've now posted an important material tip for all.

Depth of Field, while fun, also adds much to render time.
You can render a depth mask in a few seconds and use it in your photo editing program to have much more control over your depth of field. It's faster and as good of quality... just a thought.

If you are rendering with Easy09 or Easy10 setting, there is a temp.jpg image file saved if you need it.

It appears you are trying to "fill" the room with fake omni lights. This is completely un-necessary. Just light the space with the lights you would expect to light the space with in real life, and you will get a much more realistic result, and fight less with your lighting.

Also, a small light source behind the camera as a "fill flash" may be ok, but most of the time it's simply an issue of choosing the correct tonemapping for your image as Paul clearly shows here in his church rendering.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:25 am

thanks fletch
i took in your suggestions and lowered the number of lights, and i also changed the blacks and whites a bit, thanks for the tip!
I think its a bit better now.
It still seems not right somehow, theres probably a ton of things that still needs changing, but i still havnt developed the eye and appretiation of all the different features and buttons and little gadgets to know what to change to make it look better. Hopefully i will get better as i experiment more and more and my little stalking of the forum discussions =D

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:16 am

tried something new
a bit of pp on ps
Attachments
13 copy.jpg
13 copy.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 10475 times

vizfellas

Post by vizfellas » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:25 am

Cool snapshot
...fall down seven times, stand up EIGHT...

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:51 am

Cool Image and welcome,

Maybe you can use this IES Spotlight, just copy and paste in your model.

http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... f=12&t=325

Cheers Fred.
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/