Residence

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Solo

Residence

Post by Solo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Hey guys, this is a very quick render (for progressive that is) 70 passes in 27 minutes.
I think it came out pretty clean.

Unfortunately I cannot use Twilight for this project (a collaboration between Tomsdesk and myself) as I'm limited to Sketchup's ability to handle the scene, If the scene was without specific landscape requirements where I need to use strategically placed trees, populated grass and flower bed setups I would have used Twilight no questions asked.
I do not use 2D images for vegetation as they look tacky, 2D and after seeing many renders I've started to recognise the same things over and over again, almost like the 2 cutout people one finds in every render.
I added 'soft focus' (Richard from SCF would hate me now) and color correction in post edit.

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Residence

Post by Ecuadorian » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:49 pm

I too remembered Richard's complains, I hope I didn't tease him too much.
Saw your Vue vegetation renders, they're pure awesomeness. I hope Google gives us the much awaited high-poly support in SU8 and that someone starts creating DC fractally-generated vegetation so you can do everything with Twilight.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Very cool. Is the siding modeled? It looks very good.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:57 pm

What a beauty...!!! Image
Solo wrote:Unfortunately I cannot use Twilight for this project (a collaboration between Tomsdesk and myself) as I'm limited to Sketchup's ability to handle the scene, If the scene was without specific landscape requirements where I need to use strategically placed trees, populated grass and flower bed setups I would have used Twilight no questions asked.
I'm sure that we will see the KT instancing brush incorporated to Twilight Render... (Hopefully sooner rather than later...)
This will enable you to use high poly Xfrog trees, grass, vegetation and other stuff by placing proxies in SU but render the high-poly 3D models in Twilight Render... ;)
Solo wrote:I added 'soft focus' (Richard from SCF would hate me now) and color correction in post edit.
I like the subtle "bloom" you've added to this one... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

Ibon

Post by Ibon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Very good render, and very quick. I have been trying to achieve that 'soft focus' effect in potoshop. If you have a chance would you be so kind to explain shortly how to do it? Thanks in advance

And there are some blue leaves. is it a failure of TR not for supporting backsides?

Solo

Post by Solo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks guys, and yes the instancing brush thing will be great.

Ibon, I use Corel Paintshop, 'Soft focus' is a menu adjustment.
The leaves are textured on both sides, the blue you see is the reflection from sky, I may have added to much reflection to the leaves.

Solo

Post by Solo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Chris, the siding is a texture.

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Ibon, in any paint program you can do this:

Duplicate your layer two times. You should have two copies on top of the original.
To the copy on top, add Gaussian blur with radius = 10
To the copy in the middle, add Gaussian blur with radius = 5
Set both copies to "Screen" blending mode.
Play with the opacity and the light/dark levels of both copies. You might also want to set the top one to "Multiply" mode instead of "Screen" mode, depending on the scene.

Depending on your render size, you might need higher or lower Gaussian blur values.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Ibon wrote:If you have a chance would you be so kind to explain shortly how to do it?
Here's one of the better known Bloom Effect tutorials... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Oulala, oulala, (As we say in France ;) ), Really Amazing, you are very clever Pete, every soft you use, even it is for the first time, you always surprise me.
And more again, if it's possible, I wish that this image will go to the home page of TW.

Cheers, Fred.
Last edited by fymoro on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/