Attempt at a 'serious' render

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
baz
SketchUp: su-pro-2016

Re: Attempt at a 'serious' render

Post by baz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for the encouragement and info. I will plug away for a while. But worth noting, I don't get much call for this, and I ain't no 'Solo'. So my renders will always be 'quick and dirty'. So for example, once I learn a way of getting the 'outside' right, that will be it, I expect.
BTW. Showed one of the renders to another client, she couldn't understand how I took a photograph without the wall! People don't LOOK!

Thanks Fletch, I will go thru all that.
NichChun, not meant to be night, failed to get light thru the door.

Re: 'Also most raw renders look a bit lifeless and need post pro'. Any topics you can point me at for simple PShop post-pro?

jo-ke
SketchUp: 2021pro

Post by jo-ke » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 am

I normaly make a bit more contrast in PS and look for levels to adjust the midtones.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:20 pm

BTW. Showed one of the renders to another client, she couldn't understand how I took a photograph without the wall! People don't LOOK!
well, actually, you have done very nice renderings here, you are not giving yourself enough credit.

Re: 'Also most raw renders look a bit lifeless and need post pro'. Any topics you can point me at for simple PShop post-pro?
There are several tutorials on this subject in the Master List of Resources
for instance....
[Post Production - Secret 1]

baz

Post by baz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:16 am

The client, God bless her, has made more changes, which is good cos it means I have to keep going.
Heres the latest, used a sky portal on the door, got rid of all the bumpmaps, they were slowing the render down too much and didnt do much anyway at this size. Made sure the whites weren't white, hid or deleted 'out of view' geometry. Need to play with the sky (strength?) to reduce the overexposure on the floor by the door.
Fairly happy with this, esp when compared to the first ones:) Example below.
Attachments
Easy 09. About 6 hrs
Easy 09. About 6 hrs
25.jpg (516.14 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Example of previous attempt
Example of previous attempt
Long-view-web.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 9301 times

kronox
SketchUp: 2015

Post by kronox » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:56 am

Wow, amazing progress :) looks more lightened. Watch for the HDRi to don't appear much brighter than the scene. The cabinet corner and the door low-end look to be very burned up.

baz

Post by baz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:35 am

kronox wrote:Wow, amazing progress :) looks more lightened. Watch for the HDRi to don't appear much brighter than the scene. The cabinet corner and the door low-end look to be very burned up.
Thanks Kronox, Not using Hdri, just a sky portal, tried reducing the sun a bit, below, but I'm inclined to think the previous one is how it would probably look on a bright Aussie day.

Client has changed materials back to V2 now, we are now officially going around in circles:)
Attachments
Sun strength reduced. Easy interior, 30 passes
Sun strength reduced. Easy interior, 30 passes
37web.jpg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 9296 times

jo-ke
SketchUp: 2021pro

Post by jo-ke » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 am

looks very good now.

In my models I am using a sunset sphere outside for exterior. That is the best set for presentation, because interior lights can be switched on and there is something to see outside but not lit too much. (on a bright day interior lights ususally are swiched of)

If you take a photo of a room on a bright day, the exterior normally is overexposed and there is nothing to see except much light.