our Thai house

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
CyclingAsia

our Thai house

Post by CyclingAsia » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 am

Firstly, thank you very much for providing such a good rendering product for free.

This is my first modelling project. I got Sketchup last November after my wife woke one morning and sketched on some paper the house will are planning on building in northern Thailand. Since then I've gone though 16 different models. I don't have a rendering of the first model I created, but I have included an image of the model.

This looks more like it would house a suicide cult. hahaha
house.jpg
house.jpg (286.91 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
The interior is not fancy - it is just a simple house inside.
kitchen07.jpg
kitchen07.jpg (560.18 KiB) Viewed 4312 times

This version of the model contains just over 30,000,000 edges. The rendering ran for about 23 hours on a 2011 MBA.
outside14.jpg
outside14.jpg (730.22 KiB) Viewed 4312 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: our Thai house

Post by Fletch » Tue May 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Good job so far - put some lights in your kitchen!

Tone mapping - the brightness or darkness of the pixels in the image - is very important! Here are the images after some photoshop.
Attachments
outside14.jpg
outside14.jpg (283.24 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
kitchen07.jpg
kitchen07.jpg (427.39 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Tue May 16, 2017 9:01 pm

:clap: With 6 months of Sketchup, I would never remember the molding ceiling.
With that space you could use a larger counter island. As Fletch mentioned, you must go to another level.
Level "Lighting" !!

Oh... I don't know if you already aware this, if you name repeated geometry as poles or windows as components instead of groups you will save a lot on file size. It took me more than 2 years to realize this. :mrgreen:

CyclingAsia

Post by CyclingAsia » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm definitely going to have to invest some brain cells into getting lighting into the model.I've tried previously in the bathroom, but I could never get enough brightness from the light sources (I need more practice). I'm also going to look into post processing to get the look we're all after.

The moulding was done for a lesson in getting the "follow me" tool under control - many times I ended up having to reverse all the faces generated and I could not determine a reason why sometimes it was right way around and other times it wasn't. I suppose it was also a lesson in patience.

When I started, I was aware of groups. It wasn't until late in the game that I discovered components. The windows and doors are components (because they're standard sketchup components). All the trees are a single component. Without the scenery and furniture, the model comes in just under 1,000,000 edges.

It's been a fun journey, my wife and I have argued a lot about the placement of kitchen appliances (I've lost count of the number of times I've moved the oven) as well as furniture, colours, the width of the front steps, the type of railing on the deck. None of which would have been as easily possible without being able to model and see the changes.

I've also made attempts to get grass to look a bit more realising (without having to resort to models).
outside16.jpg
outside16.jpg (748.07 KiB) Viewed 4287 times