Geode Bullet

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
jxmoss
SketchUp: 2017

Geode Bullet

Post by jxmoss » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Going to make a rifle down the road that will have elements related to the bullet but this was a fun study messing with layers and textures. Let me know your thoughts! :D SketchUp > Twilight Render
Attachments
Geode Bullet Concepts - @jxmoss
Geode Bullet Concepts - @jxmoss
BulletGeo_Final.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5569 times

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Re: Geode Bullet

Post by Mike1158 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 am

Interesting, light source in the bullet itself? :D

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am

good start! :^:

There are Gem materials that come in a library with Twilight. You should apply one of the gem materials.
The Gems require a render setting that calculates dispersion. The dispersion adds to realism, but also render times. So since dispersion is not required in most architectural type of renderings the Easy 1-7 render settings will not calculate it.
The quickest way is to render with Easy 10 which calculates everything. The rendering will be much slower, but the quality will be much higher, and realism much higher. So you save time by not dealing with trying to tweak render settings by simply choosing Easy 10 (Interior+ - aka - MLT/BiPT) and letting the computer do the work. You will likely have to leave the rendering over night. But it should give you good results.
Attachments
t.jpg
t.jpg (391.62 KiB) Viewed 5553 times

jxmoss

Post by jxmoss » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Mike1158 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 am Interesting, light source in the bullet itself? :D
No, but planning on trying that on my next project. If you have any tips/tricks, I'd love to hear of some. Thanks for the feedback! :^:

jxmoss

Post by jxmoss » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Fletch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am good start! :^:

There are Gem materials that come in a library with Twilight. You should apply one of the gem materials.
The Gems require a render setting that calculates dispersion. The dispersion adds to realism, but also render times. So since dispersion is not required in most architectural type of renderings the Easy 1-7 render settings will not calculate it.
The quickest way is to render with Easy 10 which calculates everything. The rendering will be much slower, but the quality will be much higher, and realism much higher. So you save time by not dealing with trying to tweak render settings by simply choosing Easy 10 (Interior+ - aka - MLT/BiPT) and letting the computer do the work. You will likely have to leave the rendering over night. But it should give you good results.
Here is a version with the diamond material. Thinking about using some lamp lighting in this version on the inner core to add a glow, but I am currently using the free version of Twilight Render. So I don't think I have a lot of options when it comes to lighting options, but whenever I get some extra cash I am wanting to invest. Let me know your thoughts on lighting option in the free version or just what you think about it in general. Thanks!
Attachments
Geode Bullet 2.0
Geode Bullet 2.0
BulletGeo_Scene 3.9.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5427 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Lighting options are endless in free or hobby version. I would use HDR to light the scene. Search free HDR images on the forum.
Or download a nice one from the free camera scene or other scenes offered here on the forum. Search bar in upper right corner of the forum.