Dark theme for Twilight

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
RTD Laboratories
SketchUp: Make 2017

Dark theme for Twilight

Post by RTD Laboratories » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:29 am

Well Idk where to put this so Ill just stick it in here

So I've been using Twilight for quite a few years, and this is something that I've been thinking of lately. So, when you are working on a dark scene, it can be a bit hard on your eyes with the contrast between the dark scene and the bright white render window. Now, I remember that in V1 there was an option to change the color of the icon bar, so would it be possible to get something like this for V2 as well?

Basically have a dark theme for the render, maybe something like this:
darkrender.jpg
darkrender.jpg (139.48 KiB) Viewed 10517 times
Hopefully I'm not the only one with this opinion, and if this is that could be implemented that'd be really nice :whoot:
Andrew F

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Dark theme for Twilight

Post by Chris » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:10 pm

TWR should use the same theme settings that you have set up in your operating system. I haven't tested it but if you changed your window settings to dark it should apply to SketchUp and TWR.

RTD Laboratories

Post by RTD Laboratories » Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 am

Hmm that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried using the normal theme selection first, but it only affected the frame of the window. I also changed the window settings in the registry itself, which didn't affect TWR either. I'll poke around som more tho and see if I find something.
Andrew F

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue May 01, 2018 6:00 pm

If you are using Windows 10, there isn't much you can do to change the colors. The title bar, as you noticed, but not much beyond that. I'm not sure why Windows went that route but they limited a lot of things with Windows 10. Got to protect you from yourself, you know.

There is a registry setting here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
You can change the colors listed (they are all RGB 0 - 255). But you have to restart to get the colors to update which is a pain in the butt. I tried it and I was able to get the color to change, everywhere. If you have a lot of patience you could probably play around with that. :?

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue May 01, 2018 6:21 pm

By the way, in Windows 10, there is a High Contrast Dark setting (under Settings -> Ease of Access -> Color & High Contrast) that does white text on black for the whole system. It's pretty ugly but the advantage is it's easy to turn on and off.

RTD Laboratories

Post by RTD Laboratories » Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Yea I miss some of the features of the older Windows versions, but oh well.. not much to do bout that one :roll:

For now high-contrast works fine even tho it's not the prettiest thing out there :), so thanks for suggesting that one!
Andrew F

RTD Laboratories

Post by RTD Laboratories » Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Oh, and something I noticed, TWR doesnt update the window settings until restarted, so I could just set the theme to High-contrast, restart twr, and then reverse to the normal theme and have TWR stay dark. So that's nice.
Andrew F

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed May 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Oh really? That's weird, I wouldn't expect it to work that way. But hey, if it works out better for you, then yes, we did do that on purpose. :lol: