2010 Basecamp

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Solo

Re: 2010 Basecamp

Post by Solo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 pm

I heard Chris was there, looked everywhere for him. I have no idea how he looks so I pretty much had to look at everyone's name tag for him with no luck.
Sorry I missed him.

I did a Thea presentation, but gave huge credits to Twilight when asked what was the best SU render plug-in, I was very biased as I truly believe Twilight is the best integrated renderer, even after seeing the new 'IN-render' and 'Shaderlight' I now even more than before believe Twilight smokes them.

I told them that having both Twilight and Thea had an advantage as Twilight could be used with Thea in cases that the model exceeds SU's poly limits and needed to be compiled in studio as Twilight exported to .xml.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Wow thanks Solo! That's really awesome!

I actually only made it to the first day. I came down with a pretty bad cold (that I still have) and couldn't make it up the remaining two days.
I didn't know, until I got there, that you could get a reserved unconference slot to talk about a product, otherwise I would have tried to get one for Twilight (but of course, getting sick, maybe that was for the best ;) ). We really, really appreciate the thumbs up! :D

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks Solo, :^: :rspkt: I saw the pics from your presentation, and heard many good things about it. Giannis and Thea team deserve all the best :!:

And, as you pointed out, Twilight is a great companion for Thea. Being integrated with SU, Twilight can do many things that just really are very cumbersome with an external studio.

If anyone is in doubt, just try sometime batch rendering 20 completely different scenes from the same model with different sets of objects off or on and different lighting setups for each scene (all controlled by scenes and layers in SU). Outside of SU, this becomes painful.

ps - if you like Twilight now - wait till you see V.2 :!: :shock: :shh:

Solo

Post by Solo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:24 pm

I was hoping to use my charm to get more info from chris about version 2 :mrgreen:

sounds like y'all have an ace up your sleeve, I'm so looking forward to it.

marvins_dad
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by marvins_dad » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:35 pm

I didn't go see ShaderLight - but was super un-impressed by [in]Render - it might have been more the presentation than the product....but if I heard "don't worry about it" one more time I was about to walk out! LOL Seems like that was every other answer from a serious technical question, plus they didn't even have pricing figured out. Overall I think Twilight works for me. They only had the advantage of the real time preview and being able to process render outside of SU to take advantage of 64 bit (at least I think that is how they said it worked....not sure how that is possible -but I'm just a user and no programmer).

Twilight to Thea looks like it would work with my workflow well. If Twilight got the added option of real time rendering preview that would help, but might be too much to add being inside SU. That was the most amazing features I have seen recently-definitely insane! Twilight to Thea, as I said would be my work flow because I am constantly tweaking during design and Twilight is great being inside so I can stop and re-render when we change our minds every other 3 hours until the design is set....then I can take it into Thea to really tweak textures and lighting with re-light. If I can only figure out how to do animations, then I would have the total package for our office needs.

Vue's baked texture real time walk around looks like it is promising, though they didn't have pricing yet and he asked me how much I thought it should cost - and I clammed up and didn't offer any suggestions. Maybe I will get a Beta test of the product to play with since that is something that is on my offices wish list of capabilities.

The iClone was cool as well, but would really work for staging scenes and probably not final presentation quality since the texturing/lighting isn't quite the quality of Twilight/Thea. But it was quite impressive on the ease of scene creation, lighting and animation...along with the addition of 3D.

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by d12dozr » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:48 pm

Fletch wrote:ps - if you like Twilight now - wait till you see V.2 :!: :shock: :shh:
Ooooh, cant wait :whoot:
-Marcus

Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:11 am

d12dozr wrote:
Fletch wrote:ps - if you like Twilight now - wait till you see V.2 :!: :shock: :shh:
Ooooh, cant wait :whoot:
And I'm pretty sure that when the Twilight guys say 'Upgrade'....they mean UPGRADE!!!! :)

Sepo

Post by Sepo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Could you tell us how far down the line is V2, a month, 6 months, a year? Is there going to be any intermediate version?

rclub24

Post by rclub24 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Blatant bump....

V2 info?
I don't drink these days as i'm allergic to alcohol.
I breakout in handcuffs!

http://richardobrien.moonfruit.com/

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 am

There is a V2 planned. I'm actually working on it right now. :D However, the reason we don't make announcements, roadmaps, etc, is because we don't want to setup expectations and dates that we can't or don't meet. What I can say is that most of the big features people have asked for will be in there, and some (hopefully) cool surprises.