Wonderful New PC's

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Wonderful New PC's

Post by Mike1158 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Fancy a laugh at my expense? The new wonder pc is being returned as the hardware faults are not fixable. I am going bak to t'store to find out what is what, lovely, not the thirteenth by any chance? Somewhere in an alternate reality? April fools day? :wall: :wall:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Wonderful New PC's

Post by Fletch » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:04 pm

:? a couple days ago the PC was not coming at all, now you have it and it doesn't work? :wall:

Mike1158

Post by Mike1158 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:00 pm

I called tech support after getting an alternative pc. Instead of two cpu's it had one with core 2 duo (8 cores and one chip as explained). When I got it here and checked it out there were a few errors. The system (F2) setup would not allow me to change settings boot from the hard drive, instead it looked for an imaginery floppy. One of the two 3870 graphics cards was fried, the on board sound was shot and would not react to me changing speaker settings and the headphone jacks etc on the front panel were not connected. There were other errors which basicall led to poor perfomance which the tech guy on the phone put down to a faulty motherboard. All this basically means the pc was beyond rescue in economical terms.

I have an i-7 machine coming but it will end up costing me another £500. I have not yet managed to speak to the general manager but on monday I will do so, at which time I will point out that the whole week was wasted due to the ineptitude of the company. I am going to get as much of that extra money back as I can. No point in my being a child about it though, only thing is to be persistent and reasonable as possible, with a hint of texas chain saw massacre about the deal. Wish me luck chaps? :roll: :roll:

Solo

Post by Solo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Well look on the bright side...an i7!!! yeah baby, awesome power, lighning fast rendering, turbo charged SU, gaming power, video editing smoothness...all together at the same time.

Mike1158

Post by Mike1158 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:41 pm

I absolutely agree about looking to the positive side. I cannot remember all the details but when I get said machine would appreciate you guys running your opinion over the spec, what I can reme,ber is pretty cool to me. i-7 @2.6ghz. Nvidia 1gig graphics card. 1x 1tb HDD. 1x 650mb HDD. 6gb ram (Not that it will use more than 4 but hey its there). Sorry, more than a frazzled brain can handle today.

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:44 am

hi Mike,

don't fry your brain just yet mate.....in a few days you will forget about the hassles you are experiencing...!

......and apart from Pete, and maybe a few others in here, the rest of us will look at you in awe when you cut through your renders in super fast time, and then take a long lunch, while the rest of us are still halfway through cooking and scrambling to meet a 5 pm deadline :D ....!!!

Mike1158

Post by Mike1158 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Oh dear me pc world does it again. I collected said machine and an argument with the manager. I was told by the junior manager to ask top dog what he could do in exchange for me making more 60 mile round trips than I needed to etc. Top dog treated me like something on his shoe today. Not willing to do any more than refund every penny at all.

Got the machine home today and find that the mother board is fine, graphics card present and correct and sound card willing to take alterations for 5.1 speakers.

I checked the hard drives only to find that the 1 x 1tb and 1 x 650gb is suddenly 1 x 232gb and 1 x 348gb. I was almost laughing off my chaIr at this stage. Call pc world and ask to be directed to the store phone. I get ten minutes of 'why do you want to speak to the store?' and 'that is not a good enough reason to talk to them', before finally getting 'they do not want to talk to you'. The store relayed through the customer advisor that they want to give me a full refund only. I got hold of the cs manager and told him what had hapened and he has told the store to fix the rudding thing which means, another 60 mile round trip, I will go tommorow. I have to laugh at the efforts of pc world to crews things up, I really do. I must start work on my next web project, just as soon as I get a fully functioning pc...........

Never in my life have I come across such clowns pretending to be sales oriented professionals. Have a great day guys, I will too. :rofl:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:25 pm

too bad you don't live in the U.S.
Have had good luck with Newegg.com .

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:31 pm

I can tell you similar horror stories about local PC suppliers, Mike. That's why I would only do one of two things:

- Choose each individual part myself, buy them boxed and call a friend to assemble them (Although I think next time I'll be able to assemble them myself). Or...
- Buy a Toshiba notebook. They have worldwide warranty, and I know there are friendly, honest people working in the local tech support. Other brands might be better but the local tech support representatives are terrible. I bought a Toshiba Satellite years ago and it gave me no problems while I had it, and soon I might buy a Toshiba netbook.

Mike1158

Post by Mike1158 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:42 pm

It's over. Went back to the store and the management staff refused to a, speak to me or b, do what the customer support manager told them to do. Refund and do the funky chicken westwardly. Somehow I think I need to vent, perhaps a pc world-alike web page/blog would be sufficient.

Possibly not tho'.

As an aside, when the tech guy tried to verify the hdd sizes he could not get the machine to boot or even register. :roll: