What manufacturer PC are you running?

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
marvins_dad
SketchUp: 8 Pro

What manufacturer PC are you running?

Post by marvins_dad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:40 pm

I see all these blazing hot render times on the "Worm" render and wonder what all these folks with i7's are running manufacturer wise?

I looked up Dell, and they have their i7's in a lower model machine, the Alienware's seem to have some decent spec, but are really expensive.

Are you guys purchasing them pre-built or building yourselves? I'm definitely looking for an upgrade, just want to start looking in the right spots to get some killer machines like the 20 second machines I saw on the "worm" thread.

Thanks

notareal

Re: What manufacturer PC are you running?

Post by notareal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:30 am

Home build.

remon_v

Post by remon_v » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:32 am

mine is build by myself... so I have total control about what's in there and I can order the cheapest parts online from different stores, expect for a few parts I bought in the shop in my town.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 am

I looked up a certain build (it had a "name" but I forget) and started to change almost everything to my custom needs. So I guess it's more home built than any brand.
Gai...

marvins_dad

Post by marvins_dad » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Any thoughts on the dual Xeon vs. the i7's?
Also, the Alienware machines?
Oh, and dual video cards vs. single when it comes to render times or just being able to work on other apps while rendering is going on.

I've noticed that when Twilight is rendering it sucks up 100% CPU, don't know what it does to the video, so being able to continue to work and render would be worth the cash for me. Just wonder what recipe will help me out...dual everything (CPU and video), just dual cpu?

marvins_dad

Post by marvins_dad » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:55 pm

I hear what you homebrew folks are saying...I guess that's my issue, keep looking at the different manufacturers and usually they are missing an important item in each one I look at. If it were for myself I would probably build myself...but for the office they are willing to pay a little more to have the backing of the manuf. and warranty.

I guess that is why I am leary of the Cyberpower as well, not sure what type of components go into that machine...the price is so reasonable, but worried about expansion and such.

The Alienware machines, on the other hand have too many bells and whistles that scares me that they might be built for gaming and might be missing something for rendering...then the price - if the extras (dual video) would actually help me, maybe it is worth it...but if it is really there for the gamers mainly, then I don't want to spend that kind of scratch.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Well, by "home built", I actually meant that I selected the parts but they put it together for me. All warranties and such still imply.
Gai...

remon_v

Post by remon_v » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:40 am

I know Alienware are good computers... but they're build for gaming. I don't have a qlue where you can buy render machines, but I'm sure it's in the 3d world magazine I get every month. I'll have a look later. But I know google knows the answer aswell. Good luck.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:13 pm

My architectural firm bought me a 4 core Boxx system when they came out about 3 years back - top of the line - great machine - still running strong today - they spent $6000. (man, it's fans are loud)

I purchased the machine I linked you to above pre-built, I just opened it up, loaded up SU and Twilight and started rendering... it renders 2.5x faster than the other Boxx machine. I paid $970... free shipping. I have no tech support for it, and hope I have no warranty issues... but hey...

If you are wanting Boxxquality, check their website.
Also, got this info from Vosko (hard-core geek who could have an actual meaningful conversation with Notareal on the subject of building computers), at KT forum:
First things first, You need a great computer for your career yes? If so a computer is a tool in your occupation rather than a hobby so you really should go for a great setup....

I dont think you can put a price on a system if it is going to speed up your work tremoundously, money=time and in rendering the faster your renders the faster they can be given to the client :D

I would try to steer clear from dual cpu's as they would be better in the hands of a computer genius, the i7 920 is a great cpu that are about 40% faster.

Puget Systems Custom Build this system ($3230) is a custom made system in america that would be absolutely perfect for rendering and such, upgrade to 6 gig ( ddr3 whish is double as fast as ddr2) and a second hard drive would be great also. The hardrives they use are solid state and are about 40 times faster than a standard 7200rpm harddrive. This build has great sound proofing also.

Checkout the website above to customize what you want. One thing you cant be stingy with computers because it will bite you in the butt down the track. You should get A grade parts where you can especially cpu and ram, but for rendering a great graphics card is a nesacity, not a gaming card though....
:lol:

Dell workstations are great also here you can get a xeon chip which is a true 8 core processor whic is better for rendering

:D

Dell Configuration

There's so much to talk about but basically i wouldn't go for water cooling, i wouldn't build it myself unless very experienced and i would spend about 3.5 thousand. for 1000 i dont think you would be satisfied in performance gain.
check out Puget Systems - they are very good, and they overclock their machines, but BACK IT UP with warranty, etc. So you will be getting great service/great machine. If I was ordering thru a firm, not for myself, I would order thru Puget Systems or Boxx. But I'm talking if you are in the States... not sure about elsewhere... last ditch I would go with old Dell as a standby... I hate the extra 'helper' ware that Dell and places like that put on there... I want a clean base install...

I respectfully disagree, and for $1000 I'm very happy with the performance gain. It renders 9x faster and cost $500 less than my home machine I replaced. But he's right, it's nice to have the warranty/tech support if something goes wrong.

Interested in Vosko's response to the NewEgg Corei7? :
Vosko wrote:...that machine on newegg... Any gaming machine will be great just swap the graphics card to a rendering gpu if possible and the hardrive to solid state sata 2 drives also if possible.
He's right (Notareal agrees), it seriously needs a better graphics card... but for SU and TWL, it's "ok".
Vosko wrote:Main things are a 64 bit system xp or vista ( personel taste ) good ram is a major priority (6gig ddr3 or 3gig cause i dont know how much kerky thea needs), make sure its Corsair or maybe ocz, kingston or patriot. The core i7 will be more than enough for you :D
SketchUp is 32bit app, so is TWL, but running 64bit apps, you will want more than 3Gb of ram.
Vosko wrote:Frequency's on the i7 wont matter too much, with an aftermarket air cooler on the cpu it is possible to overclock the i7 920 from 2.6 ghz ( or whatever it is) to about 4 ghz! (I dont suggest overclocking it unless you have had previous experience but most people that will build a system for you can do this safely for you) that is an amazing perfamance increase that is completely free, this brings to the attention you will need a great power supply, I'm guessing 800 watts or more would do the trick :D
Vosko wrote:Hardrives i personally dont think matter too much, im happy with 7200rpm drives you just have to makes sure they are 32mb drives not 16.
Here I respectfully disagree, a faster hard drive (solid state drives are now up to 40x faster than standard spinning drives :shock: ) = less time waiting for your files to open, copy, save, save the backup (how often do you sit while you wait for that hour glass in SU to go away while it's backing up the file?)
For professional machine - go for solid state... of course, if you're saving to a network, just make sure you have a gigabit network card on a gigabit network switch, and life will be good.
Vosko wrote:i think you could build this setup for about 2 grand but im not sure, a quality case is needed if you want it to be quiet ( and to look nice ) the bad thing about less sound is that it usually means less air cooling, A quiet case usually is meant for a water cooled system, the case i have is a Cosmos S by coolermaster and is built Very quiet and still on air cooling but is very expensive.
Solo has water cooled - likes it. I know others with liquid cooled, they like it. It's silent. If you machine is near you, you may like it quiet. Liquid cooled should mean = easy to overclock.
Vosko wrote:Basically if you shop around you will find great stuff eventually with great prices, patience is the main key
true, but check the links above. ;)