Useful Tree Line Backgrounds

A place for users to put their materials for everyone to share
flipya
SketchUp: 7

Re: Useful Tree Line Backgrounds

Post by flipya » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks Fletch! I used that trick before as well, and usually also add a few cutout trees offcamera to break up any repetition that might occur. 8-)
That whole 'target' thing is new to me, but I can imagine it speeds things up significantly. Will give it a go tomorrow :)

Ciao!
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Thank you Oli, these are great!!! :whoot:

alx

flipya

Post by flipya » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 am

Another lake, but this time more tropics-themed http://www.box.net/shared/3hv9l3i16c
:>: Download from Twilight Render Forum
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

olishea

Post by olishea » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Flipya which of the methods are you using to make the trees? they look fantastic. my method is quick and dirty, but not accurate like yours.
Thanks mate! Mind if I spam a few more here over the next couple of days?
Be my guest! sharing is caring!
Thanks Oli, for sharing, the links have been updated to maintain forum continuity in the future
It's OK, it was time to give back to the community. And cheers for the update. :^:
Thank you Oli, these are great!!!

alx
Don't mention it Alex, I'm feeling generous!
Oli

flipya

Post by flipya » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:47 pm

olishea wrote:Flipya which of the methods are you using to make the trees? they look fantastic. my method is quick and dirty, but not accurate like yours.
ty :oops:

I'll try to explain :lol:

First isolation was using Fletch's first tut-link (this one), and although I can encourage anyone to follow the tutorial completely, I skipped the 'Second Levels Adjustment and blending the two with a gradient' step, just filled all the rubbish by hand and went straight to the dodging and burning of the edges (which is the best idea this tut has given me).
Then I just ctrl+click-load the final channel, go back to the layer I wanna apply it to and hit mask. You may need to invert the mask of course. Now you're left with a rough cutout. I tend to check how rough it is by placing layers of solid black, white and fluorescent green behind it and zooming to 400% or so. Black proved to show faults best in these cases. Then masking out the flying tree parts that show up where the tops of the trees meet the sky. The final step is going into your masked layer (but with the layer selected and not the mask), and cloning all around the edges using a chalky brush. This last part's a little like painting cos you need to re-set your clonesource depending on where you're working. Idea behind this last step is it gets rid of the blue or white edges, but since there's a mask applied to the layer you're working on you can be kind of rough without adding any extra 'geometry' to the trees.

Did that make any sense? :shock:

olishea

Post by olishea » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:39 am

yeah makes perfect sense, nice one. I will use this technique next time I do some more. cheers for the explanation. :rspkt:
Oli

la2010zhanglin

Post by la2010zhanglin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 am

thanks very much!

ZooBoing

Post by ZooBoing » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Wow, Thank you very much!

hvanessen
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

Post by hvanessen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:02 pm

I like the tree lines but as a newbie i would like to know how do you place this in your scene.

I model a house and then import this tree line, but how do you know what must be de distance between these two ?

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:02 am

geeeeez.....I don't know how I managed to miss this...

....nicely done Oli....and thank you....!

:^: