Polycarbonate material

A place for users to put their materials for everyone to share
Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Re: Polycarbonate material

Post by Gareth » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:12 pm

massimo, that is very generous of you....thank you :^:

given that i have several renders to complete, do you think it will substantially add to the render times...?? (they will be quite heavy models with trees etc)

cheers, and thank you again

Gareth

massimo
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

Post by massimo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm afraid that the material itself means long render times to be clean because it is quite accurate and requires thickness. :(
Maybe you can try to "fake" it with this blurry glass by Patricks even if, as he says in his post, it was optimized for speed and it's not 100% accurate (it should work also with a single face and no thickness) or perhaps with some frosted glass template in Twilight. Never tested those materials with that kind of panels though...

westy808

Post by westy808 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm

I see that this thread is old, but I'm new to Twilight / Kerkythea and this is an issue I am now facing. Since there seems to be interest in polycarbonate here, I'm hoping others have conquered this task already! :D

This material is great for colored sheets. But I am struggling to get a decent result for a white/opal polycarbonate multiwall sheet. I only get a muddy gray material, rather than a white semi-transparent one. The blurry glass materials have produced grainy results... after multiple hour rendering... eek. :shock:

I can 'fake it' fine using a bump map on solid rectangles for distance shots, but for the current project I'm working on, I'm using actual modeled polycarbonate sheets with renderings that will be taken up close.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 pm

can you post an example of your model?
can you post a sample render?

Jpalm

Post by Jpalm » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Sweet! Thank you!