Twilight V2 froze when click render button

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
AchillesMD

Twilight V2 froze when click render button

Post by AchillesMD » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Dear The Developer Team,

I would like to quickly report that Twilight V2 for SketchUp 2018 (Hobby version) seems to be frozen every single time I hit the "Render" button (while other features such as Lighting and Material Editor work just fine).

I have tried re-installing the Twilight rbz file through the Extension manager several times, unfortunately, with no success.

However, It is stated on the download page that Twilight can be run on various OSX versions (from 10.9 up to 10.12).

Is it possible that the problem occurs because I use macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and Twilight V2 is still not fully supported?

So could you kindly help me fix this problem?

More info on my machine:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Thank you and Best regards,

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Twilight V2 froze when click render button

Post by Chris » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm

AchillesMD wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 pm I would like to quickly report that Twilight V2 for SketchUp 2018 (Hobby version) seems to be frozen every single time I hit the "Render" button (while other features such as Lighting and Material Editor work just fine).
Does this happen with every scene? If you just open a brand new empty scene, does that still freeze up?
I have tried re-installing the Twilight rbz file through the Extension manager several times, unfortunately, with no success.
If you open the Twilight Render Options screen and look at the About page, what version is listed for Twilight Render?
However, It is stated on the download page that Twilight can be run on various OSX versions (from 10.9 up to 10.12).
Is it possible that the problem occurs because I use macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and Twilight V2 is still not fully supported?
Twilight Render is tested against OSX 10.13, and we have not encountered any problems with it here. The website just needs to be updated.

The first thing is to make certain you have the latest version of Twilight Render. Then try rendering a simply empty scene.

AchillesMD

Post by AchillesMD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:53 am

Hi Chris,

First of all, thank you so much for your prompt attention. The answers to your questions are as follows:

1. Does this happen with every scene? If you just open a brand new empty scene, does that still freeze up?
ANS Yes, it happens with every scene - an empty scene included.

2. If you open the Twilight Render Options screen and look at the About page, what version is listed for Twilight Render?
ANS The version Twilight Render I have installed is 2.11.0 Hobby.

The only thing I can do after the app crashes is to force quit and re-open it.

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:20 pm

That is strange. I'm definitely not seeing that happen when I run TWR on OSX 10.13 here.

It's especially strange because you say the material editor renders just fine.

When you reinstalled TWR, did you delete all the old stuff first?
There are 2 folders you should completely delete. This will make sure anything old gets cleaned out.

First, the TWR settings folder. This is at Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/TwilightV2. Just delete the entire TwilightV2 folder.
Second, the TWR folder and file in the SketchUp plugins directory. This is at Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2018/Sketchup/Plugins. Delete the twilight2 folder and the twilight2.rb.

This will get you back to a clean setup. You can then reinstall TWR. If there was any corrupted file, this should fix it.

BTW, do you have any other plugins installed for SketchUp?

I'm running MacOS 10.13.5 on an older, lower end MacBook. I haven't yet encountered any issue with TWR.

przc88

Post by przc88 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:21 pm

This happens to me too!

I have a macbook pro 2017 15" with high sierra 10.13.6.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Try uninstall/reinstall of Twilight Render.
Chris wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:20 pm When you reinstalled TWR, did you delete all the old stuff first?
There are 2 folders you should completely delete. This will make sure anything old gets cleaned out.

First, the TWR settings folder. This is at Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/TwilightV2. Just delete the entire TwilightV2 folder.
Second, the TWR folder and file in the SketchUp plugins directory. This is at Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2018/Sketchup/Plugins. Delete the twilight2 folder and the twilight2.rb.

This will get you back to a clean setup. You can then reinstall TWR. If there was any corrupted file, this should fix it.

BTW, do you have any other plugins installed for SketchUp?

I'm running MacOS 10.13.5 on an older, lower end MacBook. I haven't yet encountered any issue with TWR.
Also, please provide a list of other plugins you have installed that we may be able to see what could possibly be conflicting.

nightfall

Post by nightfall » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:23 pm

I have a similar problem with the hobby version of twilight on a fresh install of Sketchup Make 2017 on a Macbook pro. I can edit environment, material etc but as soon as I open the render dialog sketchup freezes. Almost all menu items are then grayed out, everything I click does not respond (even the quit button) and just produces a 'clunk' sound. I have to force quit sketchup then. This happens even on an empty model. Versions:

Twilight v2.11
MacOS 10.14 Mojave (but the same problem happened on 10.13 so probably not related)
No sketchup plugins installed other than the default sketchup ones.

Twilight runs fine on another laptop with windows, but it's much slower so I'd prefer to run it on my mac. Are there logfiles anywhere that I could check?

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 pm

There is a log window you can open and watch to see if any error messages show up. You can find it under Extensions -> Twilight Render V2 ->Options and click on the Options tab.

It sounds like there is a popup message that isn't showing up on screen (and blocking further progress). I would recommend clicking the Reset buttons (in the Options tab) for "Reset all saved dialog answers" and "Reset all saved dialog positions".