Render will not start

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
rodz56

Render will not start

Post by rodz56 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am

Hi

I have been using Twilight with Sketchup for several year, but it has just stopped working. The function buttons all work but when I try to render an image nothing happens. Have reinstalled both Sketchup and Twilight but still nothing. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Render will not start

Post by Fletch » Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 am

Which version of SketchUp are you using?
Computer specs? (64 bit or 32?)
Which Twilight version?

rodz56

Post by rodz56 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi

Am running Windows 10 64 bit. I've downloaded the latest Twilight Hobby version, same result-the rendering just does not start.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu May 21, 2020 9:13 pm

So, have you tried rendering a simple scene with only a cube?
Does it render anything at all?
No one has ever reported anything like this before, so clearly there is some key information we are missing.

It could be there there is some sort of conflict between Twilight and another plugin you have installed (perhaps another render engine, this has happened in the past). What you can do is find the folder where all the plugins are located and temporarily (first close SketchUp) put all your plugins inside of a folder called "temp" except for Twilight related files. Then start SU and see if it works. If so, you can add back half of the remaining plugins, and try rendering again. If it works, add half of the remaining plugins, and so on until you find it stops working, then you have narrowed down the suspects of what may be the plugin causing the conflict.

rodz56

Post by rodz56 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:14 am

Hi Fletch

Thanks for your efforts to help. There are no other plug-ins running. Won't render a cube, so still baffeled.

Rod

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Fletch wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 am Which version of SketchUp are you using?
Computer specs?
Did you see my questions?

Also, try opening the Log under Extensions>Twilight V2>Options>Options>Open system Log
after failure to render copy text and post text from log here.

rodz56

Post by rodz56 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Fletch

I was originally using the 2015 version of Sketchup Make when the problem first arose but have also tried 2017 version. The PC is running Windows 10 with an AMD Radeon R7 graphics card. When I try a render nothing apprears in the log apart from the time the log started. The command to start the rendering just seems to be missing, but being completely computer illiterate just don't know what to try. I have removed GIMP from the PC as thought that my be conflicting in some way but no change.

Thanks again.

Rod

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon May 25, 2020 7:17 am

Hi Rod,
This sounds frustrating for sure.

I can say after 11 years of providing tech support for Twilight Render no one has ever reported a problem like this, so my guess is there is something unique in your situation that probably has a simple solution but without being present one can only begin to guess.

Gimp would have nothing to do with SketchUp and Twilight Render.
  1. It is my best guess that you are trying to run a 64bit version of Twilight with a 32bit version of SketchUp. This would result in it not working. SU2015 exists in 32 and 64bit. 2017 should work as now it's the 64bit version of both programs. Honestly, I can not recall if there were a 32 and 64 bit version of 2017, I believe it only comes in 64bit flavor.
  2. Did you carefully follow the installation instructions?
  3. You could try recording a video of your screen and posting the video here (host the video on something like Dropbox, and post the link, as you can not upload a video to a message here on the forum).
  4. The weirdest part is you say it was working for years and now "it stopped working". When it "stopped working" what happened differently from before? Can you give a step-by-step, if you can't make a video?
  5. Have you followed our tutorials? See the links in my signature to the website tutorials or the video tutorials and see if you can find something there that will help you solve the issue.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (175.53 KiB) Viewed 19074 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm

When you say nothing happens, do you mean that the render window doesn't open at all? Or that the render window opens but it doesn't start?

In either case, please try the following. Go to Extensions -> Twilight Render V2 -> Options. Click on "Options" and then next to both the "Reset all saved...." lines, click the Reset button. Restart SketchUp.

ricardovaldiviam

Post by ricardovaldiviam » Sun May 31, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi. I had the same problem. The solution (in my case) was really simple. My "render cam" was just a few millimeters inside a wall, i couldnt see it in the scene, but it kept saying that the render couldnt start. I just move my cam and all was solve.
I really hope it helps.