Bauhaus lamp test in V2

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
2Harry

Bauhaus lamp test in V2

Post by 2Harry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:05 am

This may not be the right place for this posting but I figure the V1 lamp test thread may be obsolete now?

First I ran test in V1: 18 sec. (Xeon E5-1650 V2 @ 3.50 GHz 6 Core)

Then I gave it a try in V2 Hobby. Most things seemed to convert OK and got applied with appropriate materials: however, I got two messages about materials being Deep Material and would I like to apply a template?
One was the cord so I just made it flat black. The other was the globular lamp shade which was trickier. I tried some sub-surface scatter templates first but that drove the render time way up. Then I tried the Translucent template: Thin Curtain. That seemed to work but came in at 18 seconds again! I played around with the Scattering parameter and the higher it went, the faster it rendered. Default Thin Curtain has a Scattering of 30 (no idea what this Unit of Measure is). I pushed it up in 10 unit intervals and got to 80 before the shade started to look too dark at 90. And the render time there was 15 seconds.

Funny thing is, the Thick Curtain scattering is 90 by default but the rendered shade looked way darker than the Thin Curtain at 90. Obviously more going on "under the hood" that just this one parameter.

Developing a library of material pre-sets is going to be important I can see.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Bauhaus lamp test in V2

Post by Fletch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:17 am

Bauhaus scene is obsolete for V2.
We are developing a speed test scene that will test the newer hardware out there now.

For lampshade in Bauhaus lamp scene, it is a thick lampshade. So you will want to delete the inner surface if using the new thin lampshade material.
i like the new leaf template with both set to 85, opacity and translucency.