Procedurals

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
micahman5000

Procedurals

Post by micahman5000 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I just got V2 and love it. You guys did a good job with this one. Many more options to advance your renderings.
I'm new to procedurals and don't know exactly how to use them. I did some reading up on them and was wondering if there is a program that you recommend for creating your own procedurals and if you can add them to V2?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Procedurals

Post by Fletch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 pm

you can not currently add your own procedurals in any way that I am aware of. Feel free to study, that, however.

hope these help understand something about the procedurals:

Subject: V2 Tutorials Animated Snippets #Procedurals

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:50 pm

micahman5000 wrote:I just got V2 and love it. You guys did a good job with this one. Many more options to advance your renderings.
I'm new to procedurals and don't know exactly how to use them. I did some reading up on them and was wondering if there is a program that you recommend for creating your own procedurals and if you can add them to V2?
Procedurals are awesome, and are one of the main reasons I ever got into 3D rendering. Basically a procedural is a mathematical formula that converts a 3D point into a color. Most of Twilight Render's procedurals are broken into 2 categories: Geometric (like bricks) and Perlin (Cloud, Marble). You will see that the parameters to tweak the values are similar across all the procedurals.

Even if you are a Hobby user, I recommend downloading the Deep Material Editor Guide. At the end is a section that lists the different procedurals and talks about some of the parameters. I think it will be a very useful starting point.

As far as making your own, all the procedurals are compiled C++ code. Because we use the Kerkythea Render Engine, the code is built on the Kerkythea Plugin SDK. I don't know if the SDK is currently publicly available. We would have to look into that.

micahman5000

Post by micahman5000 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks guys. I will be doing some reading :!