How to access Kerkythea Materials (V2 Hobby)?

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
longtrip68

How to access Kerkythea Materials (V2 Hobby)?

Post by longtrip68 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:31 am

Hello,

Getting to know TL V2 (hobby for now). I have used Kerkythea (studio) in the past and have downloaded their materials from the Kerkythea website. I tried linking to that library via the Twilight-Options menu, but am not sure how to go about applying the Kerkythea materials within SU. Is that only available on the non-hobby version?

Thanks much,

Dane

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: How to access Kerkythea Materials (V2 Hobby)?

Post by Fletch » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:08 am

Connecting to Kerkythea libraries is only available in Twilight v2 Pro.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:25 pm

We will be releasing a Library Browser in a future version that will allow you to select a material from a KT library (but not edit it). This will be available for the Hobby version as well as the Pro version.

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:45 pm

V2.2 now provides a Library Browser available in the Hobby version. You can access it from the Template Material editor under Tools -> Import Library

benbenky

Post by benbenky » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:11 am

Hi new user here

I am using TW V2.5 hobby in SKP2016. I was trying to make use of the KT materials. It seems like I am unable to load KT materials via the Materials Browser. I have saved KT material on my hard drive and set the path in the TW Options>Directories>Search paths for material libraries to that location. No success though. I can only see 'Legacy' materials as available in TW.
Does this functionality still work?

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Yes it still works.

https://www.twilightrender.com/index.ph ... -libraries

Did you restart SketchUp after setting up the paths in the Option window? It's possible, too, that you have a bad library that is preventing TWR from loading it and the others after it.

benbenky

Post by benbenky » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks. It something wrong with my main PC. I had no problems loading KT materials on my laptop.

I have another question regarding somehow different usage of KT materials in TW Hobby.
How is the texture mapping applied to a material which is entirely setup via KT? How do you control UV mapping in sketchup? Nothing fancy just scale and rotation. Is it possible to control texture scaling in sketchup which in turn affects its final look in rendered material?

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Are you familiar with SketchUp's texturing functions? If not, there is a huge SU material tutorial here: https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000113. But you can probably find a lot simpler YouTube videos on the subject by googling it.

Twilight Render uses the texture mapping straight from SketchUp. So if you have a Kerkythea material that you want to map, find the texture from that material (usually the KT libraries include all their textures in the same folder with the material XML). Use that texture in the SketchUp material for the object (Edit the material and click on 'Use texture image', then navigate to and select the texture). Once you have the texture associated with your SketchUp material, use the SU texture tools to set up your texture mapping. Now when you render, TWR will use that texture mapping for the object.

Note that SU (and TWR) only supports one texture mapping so you can't map color and bump separately. If you have TWR Pro, you can use the Deep Material Editor to scale or rotate or shift a texture (but you can't use a completely different texture mapping).

benbenky

Post by benbenky » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:04 pm

I am fairly familiar with Sketchup texture mapping.
Here is a problem. I have color texture and bump map. Bum map was made exactly matching the color bitmap. I has the same pixel dimensions. Yet they come out misaligned.
Is is even possible for bump map to match color texture mapping as positioned in Sketchup? I dont need to have independent mapping. The opposite. I want bump map to follow exactly the same mapping as the color texture.
Here is the illustration:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm

That's strange. Matching the bump texture mapping to the SketchUp diffuse texture is precisely how it should work. Are you sure that the bump map is not accidentally shifted off from the diffuse texture map somehow?