SketchUp will not open after installing Twilight

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
sb-render
SketchUp: 8

SketchUp will not open after installing Twilight

Post by sb-render » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 am

Hi all!

I am new to this forum, and potentially to Twilight.

In attempting to upgrade my rendering capabilities, I first installed Kerkythea Echo 2008 and it's Sketchup plugin. That plugin worked fine ... I did not like Kerkythea. I then found this Twilight plugin for Sketchup. Based on the screenshots on the web site, I was very excited about getting this installed and trying it out, so downloaded the "hobby" version (for now), and the .pdf tutorials.

After installing Twilight, Sketchup would crash when attempting to open. GRRR! Here is a screenshot of the BugSplat report details...
I checked a couple things that I found in searching this forum ... nothing helped.

I can move the twilight2.rb file out of the plugin folder, then Sketchup would start ... put it back in, it would not. Here is a screenshot of what Twilight installed...

I moved everything in the plugin folder out, and attempted to reinstall Twilight. This time, it put twilight2.rb in SU-8 plugins, and everything else in SU-7 plugins.

I then uninstalled Twilight from the control panel, restarted the computer, and again attempted to reinstall. This time, ONLY the twilight2.rb file installed ... nothing else. Same results ... SU will crash with the file in the plugins folder, will open if I get rid if it.

My computer / Sketchup...

- Win XP Pro - SP2 ... laptop
- Sketchup 8 - free version
- Microsoft Visual C++ (from control panel)...

As already mentioned, I am very excited about using Twight. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Steve

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: SketchUp will not open after installing Twilight

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:32 pm

As addressed in one of your other posts, V2 does not support XP. We removed XP support from our website a few months ago.

sb-render

Post by sb-render » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Ok ... That sucks!!! Thanks Chris! FYI ... I did read on one of your web pages yesterday that it still works with XP, which is why I tried it.

I installed V1. It loads fine ... and I like what I am initially seeing. One of the things that I was particularly concerned with was whether or not images with alpha channels (people, trees, etc.) would render and cast shadows properly from within Sketchup. It does! Awesome!

Here's my quick test...

Until I get a new computer, I can use V1 ... **IF** you can tell me what I need to do to get past the 800 x 800 maximum image size, and how to eliminate the Twilight watermark. If not, then I guess I need to find something else.

sb-render

Post by sb-render » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Can I buy a license for V1 ???

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 pm

I've sent you a PM regarding V1.

Do you remember where you saw the reference to XP? We removed it from the website but may have missed somewhere.

sb-render

Post by sb-render » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:06 am

I saw it on your FAQ page.