Overnight renders

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
JDZYN
SketchUp: 2017

Overnight renders

Post by JDZYN » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:12 pm

So on several occasions, I've hit render and gone to bed, only to find the image in the morning not progressed nearly as far as I expected.
My computer appears asleep and I have to wake it up/sign in, but the "render duration" clock is at an appropriate time.

Is it possible that nothing is happening during that time, though the clock is running?

I should have written the numbers down, but it seems to me that my "exterior daytime progressive render" has progressed further the past hour or so than the whole of the night.
Thoughts? Solutions?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Overnight renders

Post by Chris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Twilight Render won't run any slower because you aren't looking at it :lol: However, if your computer goes into hibernation, nothing will run while that is happening. You can usually turn hibernation off (on Windows at least) in the Power settings.

If your computer takes the time in the middle of the night to run virus scans, or hard drive indexing, or...whatever, then that additional processing will slow the render down because those things are CPU intensive.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Make sure your laptop's/computer's power saving settings are not putting your computer into sleep mode.
For long renders, set the rendered image to save progressively (at a set time interval.)

JDZYN
SketchUp: 2017

Post by JDZYN » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:26 am

I do have the save every 10 minute thing going.
I'll check the power settings, though I've noticed that if I display an image full-screen/slideshow in picture viewer, the machine doesn't sleep.
Might be a hassle-free work around LOL

Thanks!