Latest TW V2 Crashing

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Latest TW V2 Crashing

Post by tuna57 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Guy's, Downloaded the latest V2 version and it's crashing constantly. Crashes under two different circumstances. When I open the material editor and select something it will crash. Reopen and go through the same thing several times until it works ??? Second is when I hit the render button in TW screen. Before the crash I will get a weird little white box in the center of the render window, sometimes the "box" looks like it has a uv mapping checkerboard in it ? A few times instead of the white box w/ checkerboard it looks like the preview light window from the light editor. I get the strange little box whether TW crashes or not , there will be a pause and then the render appears ? Help ! Running 2 machines an iMac w/ Mavericks and a Mac Book Pro w/ Yosemite. Same behavior on both machines.
TwilightPro V2.11

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Latest TW V2 Crashing

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks for the report. We will look into it. There are some differences in how renders are done between OSX and Windows and this sounds like this is related to those differences.

On OSX, the old render data may be left behind and you may see that momentarily before a new render starts. This is what you are seeing, and isn't a bug or a failure; it's just the old data is cached until it is replaced with a new render. However, it shouldn't crash (obviously).

Does the actual crash happen in a specific order of events?

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Chris, thanks for the quick reply. The usual series of events with crashing with material editor is as follows - Open material editor > select texture > material templates , it crashes when you select templates . Render crash , you open render window set render size scene etc. no problem , as soon as you hit render it crashes. Going to run through plugins tonight to see if there might be a conflict with one. chuck.
p.s. I'm running SU 2015 pro
TwilightPro V2.11

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 pm

More questions

Does this happen with a brand new empty scene, or just specific scenes.

I didn't quite follow where the material editor crash is. You select a material to edit, and the crash happens when you open the Template menu? Or after you select a template to apply? Or immediately upon selecting the material to edit?

As far as crashing on rendering the scene: If you open the render editor first thing without doing anything else and try to render, does it crash? If you try to render a brand new clean scene, does it crash?

I'm thinking the cached data is not the problem after all. I have messed with it for the last hour or so and haven't been able to get it to crash at all. I do see the flash of the old data but that isn't causing a crash for me. Certainly a conflict with another plugin is possible, so if you are able to narrow it down (by disabling the other plugins or moving them to a temporary folder, etc.) that would be very helpful to know for sure. ;)

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Also, what Preview Scene do you have selected for the material editor?

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Chris, The crashes were happening with several different models and multiple scenes over the last couple of days. I'll try and explain the materiel editor crash better, I open the TW material editor, select something with the eyedropper, then the crash came when I clicked on Templates or Tools and before I actually could select anything. Generally I'm using the 1' cube in the preview scene.

Honestly I can't remember if I got any render crashes without having done something else first. Been doing a lot of light and material experiments the last few days.

Now here is the maddening thing. Just ran through all my plugins on the MacBookPro. Disabled all plugins turning them back on one at a time. Messed about in several of the models that were crashing. Fooled with materials and started a render after reloading each plugin one at a time. Guess what not one crash. I still get the weird little box in the TW window before the render starts but not a single crash.... I think I will start pulling my hair out now. Can't check the iMac plugins until I'm back in the office. I'll do some messing about tonight and see if the crashes start again on the laptop and keep you posted. chuck.
TwilightPro V2.11

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Are you using the Hobby version or Pro?

It looks like there may have been a problem when I last built the Hobby version for OSX that went uncaught. I'm not certain if the issue I'm seeing (specifically just for Hobby on OSX) is new or existed in the 2.5 build. I'm building new installers and verifying them right now (that will take a couple hours). I will post links for the installers as soon as they are ready.

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Pro version ( sorry i forgot that ). Just did a little test. Drew a new model , half a dozen various sized cubed. Gave them a wide range of TW templates . Try different render settings. No crashes and did not get the strange little box before the render started. All the models that were crashing had been rendered in earlier versions of TW V2.
TwilightPro V2.11

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Ok. That rules out the Hobby issue then.

Hmmm...let me test with a file saved from a version of V2. That could be the cause of the problem. I'll try it out.

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:34 am

Chris, it's defiantly related to models that were rendered in the earlier v2. Have gone back and tested a bunch. All of them crash a random number of times with both the material editor and starting a render. I got an Apple crash log that I figured out how to save as a pdf if that would be any help I'll post or pm it. It's about 6 pages long.
TwilightPro V2.11