animation render? ffmpeg

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
res08a7k
SketchUp: 2017

animation render? ffmpeg

Post by res08a7k » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:41 pm

I just downloaded the latest and have the tools / Gif or FFMpeg options.
Am able to make animated Giff but not FFMpeg?
any suggestions?
thanks, Billy

res08a7k

Re: animation render? ffmpeg

Post by res08a7k » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Trying to find viewtopic.php?t=5433 as suggested?

How do I search for it?
thanks, Billy

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:18 pm

using FFmpeg with Twilight Render Animation tutorial

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:18 pm

res08a7k wrote:Trying to find viewtopic.php?t=5433 as suggested?

How do I search for it?
thanks, Billy
See this topic

res08a7k

Post by res08a7k » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:30 pm

It appears I need the ffmpeg coding tool. Can you recommend one? thanks

res08a7k

Post by res08a7k » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:17 am

Since I'm using SU2014 32bitwindows, Twilight seems to recommend getting a ffmpeg encoding tool - I found https://ffmpeg.org/
Does this look right? thanks for the help.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:31 am

FFMPEG is not a format. It is the tool. We have information about it here: viewtopic.php?t=5433

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 am

res08a7k wrote:Since I'm using SU2014 32bitwindows, Twilight seems to recommend getting a ffmpeg encoding tool - I found https://ffmpeg.org/
Does this look right? thanks for the help.
Did you even watch the video? It describes everything you need to know. See also the YouTube description of the video for links.
See video starting at 6m40s
Did you read the link I posted above?

Yes, ffmpeg.org is where you download the tool.

fabianporter

Post by fabianporter » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:22 pm

i'm real good at animation but i always get held back because my computer renders real slowly like 2mins per frame(30frames per second video)is there a way to render faster without having to use less figures and taking down my level of animation

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:49 am

2 mins per frame is not bad, actually.
20 mins per frame would be difficult.

To reduce render times, first would be to get a much faster machine. Or render parts of the animation on multiple machines.
If this is not possible, please try these tips:
  • If only camera is animated (it's a fly through animation), make sure your Animation method is set to Only View and that 'Reuse Lighting Information" is checked.
  • Big texture sizes. A lot of models available for download have ridiculous enormous textures. While it's tempting to go big, you are killing your render time. Usually we can go much smaller than we think, even down to 128 or 256 pixel images. Use the lowest resolution you can for each texture that will still look good. Each ray which must be traced throughout the scene has to be checked against each texture pixel that it touches, so reducing this calculation is fast and simple. Use Twilight V2>Diagnostic to find quickly all the texture sizes in your scene and so you can know which need to be reduced.
  • Lights intersecting geometry. Be careful of your light radius and make sure it isn't colliding with geometry. Remember that the light radius only affects the softness of shadows, it isn't needed to make the light brighter. If soft shadow is not critical in the scene, disable all soft shadows for all lights to render much more quickly. The soft shadow takes a lot of time to anti-alias.
  • Bright lights - lights that are too bright will need "error correction" which takes the engine time and so be sure all lights are correctly powered - use "exposure" to correct the brightness of your image, instead of using brighter lights.
  • White or Black or fully saturated colors - Start with the assumption that any "Pure White" surface in your scene should be no brighter than 90% grey. Any "pure black" surface should be no darker than 10% grey. This is true in real life. Make sure no colors are purely saturated above 90% brightness/saturation because this is not physically possible. These will cause a slow down in rendering as the engine tries to compensate for the errors from the colors.
  • Certain materials are time consuming. Metal and Brushed metal, SSS, translucent, and some others tend to be slow to render. Avoid them, use clever "tricks" to "appear" like there are translucent materials - such as a "Fake emit" light emitting material on your lamp surface - turn off cast shadow for that, and any material you don't want or absolutely need to cast shadow.
  • You put your light behind glass. In the effort to model a realistic light, sometimes people put lights behind glass or a translucent surface. This will absolutely kill render times. You should never do this for animations unless you are modeling and rendering a product shot of a light fixture itself. Use the trick above with "Fake emit" and cast shadow off.
  • Insufficient light. If you are using the Interior presets, there isn't really a limitation on the number of lights. So your render will actually go faster if you have more light (which is pretty much true across the board; dark scenes are slow).
Subject: Solutions for quick renderings with Twilight
Subject: Render times & are they normal?
Subject: How to speed up render time