Deep Editor Freezing

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
lekjaz

Re: Deep Editor Freezing

Post by lekjaz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:14 am

At the risk of bumping an old thread, I wanted to add that it's now 2022 and I'm having this same identical problem. I didn't see a resolution to this in the thread, but if I missed it please point me in the right direction. Using the material editor window to "convert to deep" causes Sketchup to hang, and the only thing I can do is to force quit.

Here's what I've done to try to diagnose:
  • I recently added a new 2nd monitor, so I tried switching that off, but that didn't help.
  • I thought it might be a RAM or CPU capacity issue, because I usually work on huge models (100mb+), but the same thing happens when I only have a new model open with one face.
  • It hangs it with any texture, not just specific ones.
  • It hangs both when just the material editor window is open and also if have other TR windows (environment, lighting, etc) open.
  • I turned off all other Sketchup extensions besides TR to see if it was another plugin misbehaving, but that doesn't seem to help.
Like @tuna57, I am also able to work around this problem accessing Deep Material editor via the pull-down menus. I just have to remember to access it that way. I'm glad I found this thread because if the workaround didn't exist, I would have been deeply disappointed.

I'm using TRv2 in current version of SU, MacOS M1 Monterey

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Deep Editor Freezing

Post by Fletch » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:58 am

Thank you for your thorough report. Please keep an eye here so that Chris can ask you further questions.
Chris wrote:OSX has some strange behavior on occasion but since this is pretty consistent hopefully we can find the problem.
It appears that Mac "M1 " is going to continue to be an unforeseen issue.
Chris wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:08 pm The identified issue with macOS has been fixed. However, there is another larger problem with macOS.

SketchUp 2022 automatically identifies the platform being used on macOS and can run natively on M1 processors (the arm64e architecture). Unfortunately, Twilight Render is not compatible with the arm64e architecture and so it can not run when SketchUp is running in native mode on M1.
Currently, the solution is to run SketchUp 2022 using Rosetta. This will run it in compatibility mode (x86_64) and will allow Twilight Render to run successfully.

At the moment it is unknown whether an M1 native version of Twilight Render is possible. We will keep you up to date on future developments.