3D PDF and/or WebGL

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

3D PDF and/or WebGL

Post by ntxdave » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Does,Twilight Render V2, or are there any plans to, support exporting rendered models to a 3D PDF or WebGL page like/similar to SimLab Composer 8?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: 3D PDF and/or WebGL

Post by Chris » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 pm

I know next to nothing about 3D PDF. I know a little about WebGL. What I do know is basically that you aren't viewing any kind of "rendered image". Instead you are seeing a 3D representation of a model with fancy shaders (basically like SketchUp's viewport but amped up). The quality of the model representation depends entirely on the quality of the OpenGL / DirectX engine and the shaders used.

Elsewhere in life I do use some very high-quality realtime "gaming" engines that prebake lighting and shadows and have some really good shaders. The result is good. Not anywhere near a rendered image but still very good.

We have discussed something along those lines. Since it doesn't use "traditional" rendering, it's a different technology set. I think it's on the "someday" list.

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm

I really appreciate the response. I have only recently explored the 3D PDF arena. My real goal is to produce a high quality image in an interactive 3D environment. At least to the point that a viewer could zoom, pan, and rotate/orbit the model.

Not to mention a competitor but I have been looking at SimLab Composer which allows me to create this type of output but as you said, the output is not really render quality. They use the Unreal Engine. It also looks like Twinmotion has not gone to the Unreal Engine as well.

IMO, I think the first vendor who can provide the ability to produce something in the 3D PDF or WebGL environment with full render quality will be a real winner. Again JMO........

Paul Russam
SketchUp: 2017 Pro

Post by Paul Russam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:21 am

Check out SketchFab, we've started uploading models there and then iFraming them into our site.
Our models on SketchFab: https://sketchfab.com/dma-ni/models
A page from our site: https://www.dma-ni.com/dma_projects/dma ... ey-dundalk
Click the 'View in 3D' button (Only available on desktop)
Paul Russam

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Yes, I have tried that too. However, you have to load everything to their site. You do not have an option to do it on your own server. You also cannot do a 3D PDF. Otherwise a decent option.