Feature suggestion - Write render info into jpeg

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Aktion

Feature suggestion - Write render info into jpeg

Post by Aktion » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi there, I'm just starting out with Sketchup and Twilight. I have to say that I love Twilight and it's ease of use.

While trying out different rendering options you don't always name your files correctly (I really should).
I know digital cameras write additional info to Jpegs and wondered if Twilight could write the current render setting other useful details when writing out the jpeg file.

Ak

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Feature suggestion - Write render info into jpeg

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 am

Aktion, :welcome:
Aktion wrote:...you don't always name your files correctly (I really should).
Can you be a bit more specific?
You can change render setting names to anything you like.
I suggest putting your favorite settings in the base settings file, for quick access. I also suggest backing up any default settings files before changing them.
Aktion wrote:... could write the current render setting other useful details when writing out the jpeg file.
auto-metadata has been under discussion, thanks.

Aktion

Post by Aktion » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:01 am

Hi Fletch.
Sorry, I'm a bit dyslexic and should have written "I don't always give my jpgs meaningful names to represent the settings I have used"

Off topic:
Attached is my latest render. Just having a play with modelling, lighting and materials.
10 hour bake time, MLT + BPT
Ak
Attachments
My latest render
My latest render
diamond-s5-mlp-bpt-1.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 8179 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:31 am

excellent render.
mlt/bpt is the only way to go for this one, I think... you can try High+, just to "see".

Equis

Post by Equis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I've also thought this would be a good idea. I try my best to name my files like "20100126_render_test_1280px_9prog.jpg", but don't always follow my own rules. I know 3D Max puts the render settings in a single line along the bottom of the image. It would be nice to have the same in Twilight, though I like the idea of including it in the EXIF data as well. It would also be nice to include the rendering time. This would be very helpful to figure out which method is going to be most effective for the final render or when referring back to an older rendering.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Aktion,
try the Camera Tab > Exposure settings... I think it will improve the results. A darker surface for the diamonds will also show off the caustics. Try a dark polished stone material. ;)

Aktion

Post by Aktion » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:36 am

Hi again. I gave your suggestions a go.
I darkened the surface materials colour, reflection colour and bumped up the reflection a little.
This one didn't bake that long. Enough to get an idea of what it may look like. I think with more time the caustics would have come out better.

It's got more contrast between the base and the diamonds compared to the original which I think looks a lot better.
Thanks for the tips

Ak
Attachments
second attempt
second attempt
diamond-s5-mlp-bpt-2.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 8105 times