Simple Lamp with Emitter

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
rclub24

Simple Lamp with Emitter

Post by rclub24 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Haven't posted in awhile, but felt i needed to understand a bit more how and what Twilight is about.

Here's a simple lamp i've chosen as my study of emitters and omni lighting. It's bulb is an emitter>normal>power 100. This pic shows only the emitter as a light source
Simple Lamp.jpg
Simple Lamp.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
In this pic i used another emitter to light the scene along with the bulb but felt unhappy with the outcome. Still learning on how to determine how big a face is needed to represent an omni bulb and what is the benefit of using emitter in place of omni lights
Simple Lamp II.jpg
Simple Lamp II.jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Here's the same scene with an omni light
Simple Lamp III.jpg
Simple Lamp III.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
There are subtle differences as i used the same setting and render time for both renders?

Has anyone any advice or comments on this?
I don't drink these days as i'm allergic to alcohol.
I breakout in handcuffs!

http://richardobrien.moonfruit.com/

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Simple Lamp with Emitter

Post by Fletch » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 pm

Light emitting surfaces are very important, as they give extremely realistic lighting.
The key with them is to set their power correctly.

Twilight's Light emitter template defaults to using watts/m2 - watts per meter squared. So unless you are using a square meter as the surface for your light bulb, you may need to crank up the watts quite a bit.

It takes a bit of calculation in order to set your light power using this method, but it's most reliable and accurate in the long run, and was therefore chosen as the default.
If interested in how to do it, this process is explained in the v.1.1 of the user manual. (see my signature)

The alternative would be to try utilizing the Kerkythea illuminants libraries.