spherical sky

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
hvanessen
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

spherical sky

Post by hvanessen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm

How can you see in twilight render that your images is correct lined up with your background.

In this example i used a spherical sky image, and when you look at it, you could see that the test image nog correct is lined up with the background.

Is there a tutorial or a trick to learn.

Thanks for the understanding and help :rspkt:
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (307.36 KiB) Viewed 12415 times

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Re: spherical sky

Post by flipya » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Well you've probably read the other topic about this by now, the one I started :D
EDIT: I wrote a lot of rubbish here that didn't make sense (even to me) after reading it. The other topic Chris linked to should be enough hahaha...

What did make sense was this bit: And another thing that makes your model look 'floating' is the lack of a boundary. I added some quick-n-dirty grass in Photoshop and it already looks less like a UFO (in my opinion at least).
Attachments
Added some grass in PS
Added some grass in PS
grasspp.jpg (356.16 KiB) Viewed 12405 times
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Spherical skies do not receive shadows.

This spherical sky is intended to be providing great reflections in windows, as a window with no sky will reflect the sky color and everyone says "how come the window isn't reflecting anything?" and we have to say "it can't reflect anything if there's nothing to reflect...

you see.

This spherical sky is intended to be providing a great background for interiors as well... so if you are inside a building, and you look out the window you see a nice distant grass and treeline.

This spherical sky is intended to be a great background when you have enough fore-ground objects in your scene to cover up the horizon line on down...

here's a perfect example... ;)

hvanessen

Post by hvanessen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 pm

:gj: Thanks a lot i know that i must work on a good foreground and perhaps sometime's a litte bit photoshop or paint shop pro.

But 1 question, how do you know the distance between your object en the beginning. Or better said what is the size of your image when your render.
In my first picture the object was in the middle of the picture, but in my skecthup window is was standing in front. How do you manage the distance and
de window rendering

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 am

it appears in your first image that the spherical sky is not loaded into the Spherical Sky Type.
Or, it appears that you are using an extremely wide viewing angle, your camera in SketchUp appears to be greater than 70 degrees, or even maybe 90?
Or, it appears that perhaps you are using a 2-point perspecive modified camera in SketchUp.

In any of these cases, the spherical sky may appear distorted.

As you can see in my example above, you can not see NEARLY as much "sky" as you can in your image. So the camera setting in SketchUp is definitely something "special" in your case. You can see in my example the clouds appear to be a natural scale.

That said, it does not appear that the view is "messed up" to me.... I am assuming that one of the cases I listed above is true.

If you are using the two-point perspective camera in SketchUp, this will render ok, but only if you do not PAN the image, or change it from how it is at the default position when two-point perspective was chosen. If you have panned or rotated the view after that in any way, your rendered image results will not match the SketchUp view.

For more discussion on Spherical Skies, please see this thread.

hvanessen

Post by hvanessen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

After some test i achieved a little bit what i want, but otherwise your right to say that the best possible solution is to design a larger picture where the background only the sky should be.

So i stick to that point. :hat:
Attachments
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (243.84 KiB) Viewed 12345 times

hvanessen

Post by hvanessen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm

After some new test, i think i got it under control (for a beginner then). Just see the image from a house (not designed by me) and in the background the hills of Austria.

The only thing is just don't get right is the sharpness of the background, in my opinion it is not sharp enough. Can any one tell me wat to do with that.
Perhaps it is the size for the background ?

hvanessen

Post by hvanessen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm

the picture
Attachments
test image background.jpg
test image background.jpg (262.81 KiB) Viewed 12333 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm

the 'sharpness' of a background image has only to do with the original resolution of the image used as a background, and with the final resolution of the rendered image.

If your background image is 800px wide, and your final rendering is 2400px wide, then the image will look very grainy because it will be stretched to fill the 2400px wide rendered image.

Here's a good explanation on our forum with diagrams.

If you want to learn more, Rafa has created some very nice diagrams you can read all about it, and very very well explained for beginners.
Please look closely at Rafa's great tutorial on HDR and sphericals, globals, etc.[/quote]

hvanessen

Post by hvanessen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Fletch,

Thanks for the information, but i can't read the information on the forum (no authorisation). But by the way your file is the same as from the video tutorial. Do you have the .skp file so i can also follow the tutorial with the original file.

Thanks in advance.