new patio Im working on

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
joeymaze

new patio Im working on

Post by joeymaze » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Just thought I would post a patio I am working on for a client. I have been working with Twilight for about a month. I am also working on some night shots for this job, but they are kicking my butt, Any pointers on presets & settings would be appreciated especially on the night shots.

Thanks,
Joe
Attachments
parurender4.jpg
parurender4.jpg (361.24 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
parurender3.jpg
parurender3.jpg (344.74 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
parurender1.jpg
parurender1.jpg (325.91 KiB) Viewed 10020 times

joeymaze

Re: new patio Im working on

Post by joeymaze » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Here are a couple of the night shots, either the white bars or white speckle noice. :wall:
Attachments
paru light1.jpg
paru light1.jpg (236.6 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
paru light2.jpg
paru light2.jpg (261.14 KiB) Viewed 10018 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 pm

that second one really looks great!

For night shots it's important to reference some magazines. they can be difficult.
First - at night, there's always ambient light - at least from the moon... if not nearby houses/street lights.

In magazines/architectural shots you will rarely see a shot in pitch dark night - it's always sunset... just when the lights need to come on...

The best way to light a night scene is with a sunset HDR.

It will also render quickly.
Try these free sunset HDRs by RAYMAN at Kerkythea forum in your spherical sky slot. and re-render. (no sun shine on! just use the HDR spherical to light your scene, along with the lights you have already.)

also, it appears some of your bump maps need to be inverted.... remember that with bump maps - black recedes, white comes out, 50% gray = no bump.

searching Moonlight here you will find...

Mesquite City Hall (an example of using the Twilight Physical sky for Moonlight effect)
and... same thread - see the part about using the Twilight Grass Component to add grass to your scene - it's a big help!

the Pool Test thread has a successful Moonlight effect near the end... depending on your position to the equator :lol:

giving a warm color to the lights can also add a more warm/realistic touch.

**edit**
If you download those sunset HDRs they will be quite bright for your scene. Set sky brightness to ".1" and they appear very nice.
I still render the exterior with INTERIOR EASY 09 because of my materials and many lights...
But Med+ should look good. Or "Advanced settings > Low+ alternative AAhigh"
IMPORTANT - those are very hi-res HDR images, and you may want to resize them before using. I resized mine to 25% original size. This gave me good lighting results and doesn't eat up RAM needlessly. The actual sky you insert should be a different hi-res sky that matches the ligthing as best you can. Use the mask render pass to mask a sky in LIKE THIS:

Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 am

Very nice modling Joey, particularly the curved steps and wall capping.
I agree with Fletch that a 'night' shot should have just enough ambient light to show what is actually there, while indicating the effects of the artificial lighting.
[And the consensus is that the moonlight shouldnt be too yellow.....unless of course you come from somewhere down under :mrgreen: ]

joeymaze

Post by joeymaze » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks guys for the input. Especially you fletch for putting such a detailed post together. I will be working some more on this design today with your suggestions & repost a pic when I am done.
Thanks,
Joe :^:

joeymaze

Post by joeymaze » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 am

Ok heres the new night shot. I put in a nice summer sunset(pinkish red sky). I especially like the way it reflects in the windows. Fletch, thanks for the at dusk pointer. It made all the difference. This was rendered for 4.5 hrs. on easy preset 11. The funny thing is when I tried to render on #9 the column lights & wall light would'nt show up... Hmm. I also tried mlt but it was taking to long & seemed a little bit grainy to me. You know I don't even have to be this precise with my drawings but I am intiqued with Twilight with its power & simplicity. I have the time this winter to get better at my workflow & push the envelope a little. Never wanted to go through the major learning curve associated with programs like vray. Thanks for a great engine!
Attachments
paru light5.jpg
paru light5.jpg (310.24 KiB) Viewed 9848 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:59 am

Excellent work. I think your clients should be thrilled with that!

The big light off to the left seems to overpower the scene... but it does help you see what's going on for sure!

joeymaze

Post by joeymaze » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks Fletch, that light on the left must be the sun setting on the horizon.(hdr sky had that in it) I left the sun on becuase in my prelim renders the scene was coming in too dark. Maybe next time I can rotate the sky a little to get that out of there.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 am

Fletch wrote: The best way to light a night scene is with a sunset HDR......no sun shine on! just use the HDR spherical to light your scene...
when you render with HDR, remember to turn sun off. The HDR IS the sun. ;)