Preventing light coming through a section-cut

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
flipya
SketchUp: 7

Preventing light coming through a section-cut

Post by flipya » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 am

Hi peeps,

I can't imagine noone has ever asked this here, but I couldn't find it through search so here goes:

I'm trying to render a topview sectioncut of a house, but I want to see only the light coming through the windows, not through the actual cut. Tried making a temporary ceiling and mapping an empty .png to that, which didn't work. Painting the underside of said .png a solid color did nothing either. Is there a way to do this?

Merci bien for any help or suggestions.

Philip
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Preventing light coming through a section-cut

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am

bon jour Philip! ;)

well, even in SketchUp, the section cuts do not allow this functionality.

The only thing I can think of is to place a plane some meters above your building positioned and sized so that it casts shadows onto the model without blocking sunlight falling through the windows... :?

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Post by flipya » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 am

Merci bien for your answer Fletch.

In SU it is possible to fake it by just placing the .png-ceiling a few mms below the cut as seen here
SCF-shadow.JPG
SCF-shadow.JPG (30.09 KiB) Viewed 12905 times
But I take it from your answer that there's no setting in Twilight or adjustments of the .png that will render this accordingly... Too bad :(

EDIT: your suggestion of placing a plane between sun and model is an option, but takes a lot of tinkering to get right on bigger models (and won't work when I animate the sun's trajectory). Is this a functionality that we could expect in a future update or version? :whistle: :D
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm

hmm... :! the engine would need to support such functionality. Twilight is a way to bring the engine into SketchUp seemlessly, while improving ease of use, tight integration with SU, giving it a nice user interface, etc. We shall have to see what the future holds for the functionality of the engine.

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm

its a bit tricky to do, but with a projector you can fake any light/shadow casting. depends on the complexity of the geometry that casts shadows. as you have to create the bitmap for projection, you might ask yourself why not paint it into the render directly. can say more when at home...
cheers
alex

shura

Post by shura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:19 pm

ok, this is a method how to modify shadows from SU and get them into the TWL render via projection. sorry, no soft shadows here. Not sure if this is a solution for your problem... but a funny trick to fake lighting into a render. (did a real installation like this, light coming out of a door frame leaning to a solid wall)
gotta get up early, hope what you see here is self-explaining enough:
Attachments
FakingShadowsTWLprojector.jpg
FakingShadowsTWLprojector.jpg (144.49 KiB) Viewed 12854 times
FakingShadowsSUstyle.jpg
FakingShadowsSUstyle.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 12852 times
FakingShadowsmakeGobo.jpg
FakingShadowsmakeGobo.jpg (150.01 KiB) Viewed 12855 times

shura

Post by shura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Attachments
FakingShadowsGobo.jpg
FakingShadowsGobo.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 12847 times
FakingShadowsSUwindow.jpg
FakingShadowsSUwindow.jpg (185.43 KiB) Viewed 12848 times
FakingShadowsRender.jpg
FakingShadowsRender.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 12846 times

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 pm

this could be done if the cast shadows was made to work independently of the alpha for generic materials. :idea: or if someone could create a shadow caster material.(kind of a reverse sky portal ;) ) :idea:

OT PS, could the material reset be moved from the templates>generic>reset to a button some place more convenient please.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Sun May 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Maybe... If Twilight (and Kerky) could use double sided materials where light can come out from somewhere (a room) but cannot go in. Like in V-ray with which Thomthom made these renders:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 81&t=22423
Gai...