Black Sky rendering issues

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
SpookyChick
SketchUp: SU 2017

Re: Black Sky rendering issues

Post by SpookyChick » Thu May 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Well, the upload attachment option is there now. As far as previously, I have no idea if it was there or not. I could have overlooked it, who knows. Anyway, yeah progressive is my favorite way of doing things as far as a final render.
Learning any new program is frustrating... calm is advised
Yes it definitely is! Tranquilizers are good too! Actually the program isn't the real stresser for me. It's the client. He's a techn00b, and also the one who provided the model. (which required lots of fixing. Not a problem since Sketchup and I are old friends.) The client expects perfect (instantly) and doesn't understand why he's not getting it yet.

As for "fake" emitters, the only kind I have seen were the lampshade ones in the library. I'd rather avoid those if I can, since thay cannot be edited.
This is the best render I as able to get. Notice it needs a black sky and sharper shadows
This is the best render I as able to get. Notice it needs a black sky and sharper shadows
Nova ClassLowRen.jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
This is what I am getting today
This is what I am getting today
2010527test.jpg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
I will send along the model as soon as I can find a way to shrink it so it is size compliant.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu May 27, 2010 11:22 pm

If you use the non-progressive render methods, fake emitters save time, they actually emit light when rendering with progressive renderings, so no harm done either way.
See below, just follow steps 1-5. (Step 5 is to set a color.) Step 6 (not shown) would be to adjust the power of the emitter by typing in a wattage you desire.

I would highly recommend for this scene to find an HDR of starry space sky like this milky way HDR here and light the scene with that.

After you render the image, you will need to do some photoshop work. This looks like a handy place to start.

More star maps... http://maps.jpl.nasa.gov/stars.html

Of course a starry sky HDR will not project much light on the scene, and in this case I would put a light emitting plane off-cam to provide the light I needed, and just use the spherical starry sky to give me the reflections/look I want.
Attachments
fakemmitter.jpg
fakemmitter.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 5242 times

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 pm

UPDATE!

I started playing around with a different method of rendering this. Backgorund set to black, 3m x 3m emitter a little ways "offscreen", render it all on Interior Progressive (Easy09). Results look promising so far. I figured it was a case of Cranio-Rectal Implantation on my part, and I was right. :doh:
Next step will be seeing what a spotlight will do. I have been very leary of messing about with these, because all the other render programs I have used were SUCH a PITA.

What finally solved it for me?
:rtfm: Thats what solved it. Reading the Fracing Manual (for the 800th time) This time something clicked and I realized the problem was that any kind of dark sky settings were projecting sky color on my model, which was the real source of the issues I had. Additionally, lowering the sky brightness just dimmed the amount of light on the model overall.
Anyway, Fletch, thanks for being here and helping with all this. Your assisstance is greatly appreciated. :gj: :hug:

Oh, and I 'splained some things to my client and I think he understands :rspkt: . I'm hoping it stays that way.

Oh, and thank you for the tips. I might not use all of them, but I am NEVER going to turn down advice. Might come in handy for some other project.
Anyway I will post a copy of things in the Work In Progress gallery later.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 am

This one uses some emitters that are made "invisible" using the emit template pulldown type choice, right under the word "fake"

Open scene and try it out.

The sky I used with the JPG format image of the Milkyway from the link above.

Also... if space scenes are common for you...
http://www.doschdesign.com/products/hdri/Space.html
Attachments
scifi-uglyship-example3.skp
(465.66 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
milkyway-JPG-Big.jpg
milkyway-JPG-Big.jpg (391.79 KiB) Viewed 5236 times

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Fri May 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks for all the help. I I think I finally have resolved the issue, at least to my satisfaction. It was pretty much what I stated in my last post. With regard to background images, I always intended to use one. I did not know, however, that having a background would actually speed up my renders.

Anyway, youll find the image over in the WiP thread.

Oh, Client still won't budge on his "laser beams", but he does now acknowledge that the detract from the picture. A lot. :roll: Oh, well.
I'm happy. I can go on with the rest of the project now.