Ski lodge (WIP)

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
PlansRF

Ski lodge (WIP)

Post by PlansRF » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi everybody,

here's my first real project. I'm still looking for a way to make the top gable light look more like a projector with a soft triangle shape flow...any idea how to do this???...in the mean time I did all the lightning in post-production...

This picture will be used as a marketing road side billboard (70"x97" size), so every comments and suggestions are gladly welcome. :D

Thanks

Rick

Software used: Sketchup, Twilight and Photoshop

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Re: Ski lodge (WIP)

Post by d12dozr » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 pm

I think you mean IES lights...have you seen these? http://www.twilightrender.com/phpBB3/vi ... =325#p2144
-Marcus

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello, PlansRF,

Are you a licensed user of Twilight?

If you are, you will be given access to many free lighting components that will help you light this scene for Twilight easily.
Then I would light the scene with a winter time HDR image (do a search on the web, you will find many)
Then I would set the sky with no sun and HDR loaded in the spherical sky slot.
Then I would render it with Easy 09 to about 40-75 passes.

You will have a great preview after 2-3 passes, and will be able to adjust the brightness of your HDR sky under "Sky Brightness" in the Sun&Sky Tab of the light dialog.

Make sure you are using the Architectural Glass template for your windows... or one of the Architectural Glasses provided in the libraries.

Also, check the freebies section of this site for free light components.
Also, read the manual where it talks about projector lights in Twilight, they are surprisingly simple to do.

Sepo

Post by Sepo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 am

Fletch you say there are a lot of winter/snow free hdr images around. I am actually struggling to get any. Care to point me in right direction. Cheers.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:28 am

Here you go, Star... ;)

Some are free...
Aversis
HDRI mill
Hyperfocal
Evermotion (type HDRI in the search field and hit Enter - check also this )
And you might also find this one interesting...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

Sepo

Post by Sepo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks Frederik , but could not find single free winter/snow hdr.

PlansRF

Post by PlansRF » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for these tips......

Yes, I am a licensed Twilight user.
I think you mean IES lights...have you seen these? http://www.twilightrender.com/phpBB3/vi ... =325#p2144
yes I've looked at it but I still have trouble increasing the gable lights power (my client want them to be more powerfull, so it really show on the exterior wall)
Also, read the manual where it talks about projector lights in Twilight, they are surprisingly simple to do.
I've read it many times and I still need to know how exactly all the settings works.....I've take a look at your tread where you offer free light setting, downloaded it and I wonder how you came with these specific settings for these lights???...Is it by try and error???

Thanks again, I'll get back to work

Rick

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 pm

To create a square light projected, just simply create a black image with a white square in the center, and load it into the projector slot for the light. That's it.

The light components were created with many years of experience, so, trial and error could be part of that, yes.

There are hundreds of ways to create light components and no one way is 'right'... but these should be a good start for understanding light components.

Send your login info for the forum along with your licensing info to licensing at twilightrender dot com and we will grant access to the Red Carpet section of the forum... this will have more free lights and a more in depth video tutorial on how to use them.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 am

star wrote:Thanks Frederik , but could not find single free winter/snow hdr.
/: So the On a glacier in Banff National Forest, Canada wouldn't do the job...? :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

Sepo

Post by Sepo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 am

Oopsy...did not see that one....shame no woodland but it might just do.... Thanks again.