very cheesy render

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
olishea

very cheesy render

Post by olishea » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:22 pm

A marketing image I made for a housing association representing their zero-carbon eco homes.

I was specifically asked to make it cheesy....like a street carnival-type atmosphere.... children, picnics, birds, flowers, bushes (go easy on me Stu! :) )....oh and ethnic diversity, apparently my entourage was too white :doh: :?:

I added horizontal venetian blinds by request, I wouldn't normally due the dreaded moiré effect but in this case i think it looks kinda cool.

Took a long time to do this. I couldn't get it to render for a few days (125MB file, PNG images etc)....and when it did render it wouldn't let me save the image!! I waited almost 20 hours for a completely clean image and it just would not save!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: got it done in the end anyway. Thanks to Fletch for the support! :^: I think its just a RAM issue.

Rendered at 2000 pixels.
Exterior Progressive Preset
Physical Sky (0.9 brightness)...sky image insterted in photoshop.
Turbidity 1.9
Sun Strength 4.95
Sun blur: 7
Attachments
final_small_rev5.jpg
final_small_rev5.jpg (637.29 KiB) Viewed 11265 times
Last edited by olishea on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Oli

Stu

Re: very cheesy render

Post by Stu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Oli, first up, the 125Mb of mainly PNGs shouldn't be an issue...I regularly get up around that mark and Ive only got an average machine [4x cores, 2.4 Gig, 1 Gig Video card. 3Gig RAM]

PR peep cutouts are always a challenge, particularly in the foreground....I'd maybe do some light filter work to try to blend them into the image [FotoSketcher 'bilateral' filter is my favourite at the moment.]

The planting?....Well, I would cut down on the number of varieties, vary the size, and give some thought to how public space gardens would be laid out....re. access, maintainance, damage minimalization etc. As it is, if a car parked beside that road the passengers would step out into the garden.

olishea

Post by olishea » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 pm

There is actually a wall between the plants and the road ... but client said just leave it out for the purpose of this image....its gonna be an advertising postcard and a poster in their office....if they are happy with it.

My machine is less than average! It's a dual core 2.8ghz imac....so I have to partition windows with an absolute maximum of 3gb ram (normally 2gb).....it makes both the mac host and windows guest very slow and temperamental. needless to say i'm gagging for the mac version :D it wasn't just the amount of PNGs....there were a few high res ones that crashed it.

yeah i saw that image with bilateral looks interesting, gonna do some test cheers. :gj:
Oli

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:57 am

Zero carbon....?

I would be interested to know what they mean by that, as opposed to energy efficient.

olishea

Post by olishea » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:23 am

as in carbon neutral and can power themselves.....there is a huge wall of PV panels on the opposite side (thats why its a sharp roof pitch, optimum exposure) and other passive considerations such as no need for mechanical extract etc. They are some of the only code 6 houses in the UK.

just type "level 6 code for sustainable homes" or "code 6 house" in google.
Oli

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:53 am

ahaa, thanks oli....that would explain the rather 'awkward' architecture'...

.....perhaps budget constraints were also a limiting factor..

....nice render though

bravoddb

Post by bravoddb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi, how can I do a grass like the one below the man seated? I always use a bit map but I don't have Idea to make it more realistic.

Thanks
Bravoddb

olishea

Post by olishea » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Gareth, they are council houses so yes budget constraints....but its the same with most things these days. we suggested a blue/grey brick and it looks soooooo much better....but you know what planners are like. :twisted:

bravoddb:

http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =26&t=1081

http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 61&start=0

edit the grass image too to make it match your scene. it needs desaturating a little bit I think.
Oli

olishea

Post by olishea » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Here is a watercolour I was asked to do. :)
Attachments
final_watercolour_rev3.jpg
final_watercolour_rev3.jpg (652.85 KiB) Viewed 11308 times
different version
different version
final_watercolour_rev4.jpg (658.55 KiB) Viewed 11277 times
Oli

olishea

Post by olishea » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm

updated, sorted out bad saturation etc....
Oli