Water light pass through question

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Ron_Bruins
SketchUp: 8.1

Water light pass through question

Post by Ron_Bruins » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 am

Hi,

I am building a house in sketchup with a pool in the front.
I have used Majid's water procedurals for the water, but I get two different results when rendering:

- Easy up to 7 I see the 'movement/waves'bumps in the water as well as I see through to the bottom of the pool, showin me the tiles.
- Easy 8 The pool is much darker, from light almost to darkblue and the tiles are almost not visible anymore.

I have tried to place a omni light at the bottom, but no luck.

Can anyone tell what the cause of this is?!

Thanks,
Ron

Easy 06

Easy 08

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Water light pass through question

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:32 am

Light bouncing around thru the water inside of the pool and back out to the camera is called Caustics. Caustics in Easy 9 and 11 only work with light emitting surfaces. So if you light the scene with light emitting surfaces, instead of points, spots, and sun/sky, then you will see the same render with both Easy 7 and Easy 9.

Easy 10, however, should render perfectly with all lighting situations... so you could simply choose that one.

Ron_Bruins

Post by Ron_Bruins » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the answer! Just trying to get up to speed with this great program!

So to rephrase for my understanding:

- Easy 07, 09, 11 - needs light emitting surfaces, spotlights won't work "inside" the water sun doesn't penetrate.
- Easy 10 - similar as Easy 1-6 - spotlights and sun do work and also light emitting surfaces will work as well

I assume Easy 08 goes along with 7,9 and 11 lightwise?

But what difference does it make when using the Maijdi Porcedurals instead of the 'water' from the twilight template (realistic glass->water) and a bump map, as this is what I used before I used these procedurals..

Regards,
Ron
Regards, Ron

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:04 pm

rb85641 wrote:- Easy 07, 09, 11 - needs light emitting surfaces, spotlights won't work "inside" the water sun doesn't penetrate.
sorry, no. not right. 07 works fine, as you mentioned, yourself, in your original post. ;)
rb85641 wrote:- Easy 10 - similar as Easy 1-6 - spotlights and sun do work and also light emitting surfaces will work as well
close, they work fine with 07 as well.
rb85641 wrote:I assume Easy 08 goes along with 7,9 and 11 lightwise?
08 works best with only sun and sky, or only 2 light sources or less. it works best with a scene with mostly direct sunlight... but otherwise, yes, any light source appears to work well with Easy 08... except with HDR light source in spherical or probe sky slot... in that case, some HDRs work great, others cause problems... reason unknown at this time.
rb85641 wrote:But what difference does it make when using the Maijdi Porcedurals instead of the 'water' from the twilight template (realistic glass->water) and a bump map, as this is what I used before I used these procedurals..
Are you saying "Realistic Glass>Water" template works fine with Easy 09, but the Majid Procedural water is now having problems with Easy 09? Are you sure this is the case?

Ron_Bruins

Post by Ron_Bruins » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Nope, didn't say that ;)
I never tried Easy 09.

Initial question:
- Easy up to 7 I see the 'movement/waves'bumps in the water as well as I see through to the bottom of the pool, showing me the tiles.
- Easy 8 The pool is much darker, from light almost to darkblue and the tiles are almost not visible anymore.
This all went fine when I had the realistic glass-> water template.
After the change to the Majid Procedural Easy 8 doesn't do the trick anymore.

Actual refer to the images, with the realistic glass->water template rendering with presets up to easy 8 looked similar to the first image (bottom of pool still clearly visible)
Changing to the Procedural, presets up to easy 7 still the same, Easy 08 as seen in the 2nd image (dark water no bottom visible)
Regards, Ron

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:26 pm

ok, sorry, misread orig. post as "9" instead of "8"
well, w/out the scene it's diff. to tell, but could be sky is being treated differently by 08, could be caustics issue exists same in 08 as with 09. (very possible)

Ron_Bruins

Post by Ron_Bruins » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 pm

It seems that I worked out the reason.

I used a hemispherical sky and it seems on easy 8 that the blue sky is just reflected in the water, making it appear darker.
When I use physical sky everything is fine on easy 01 - 08.

I am new to twilight, so just back to the drawingboard and keep on testing :)

Is there an comparisation chart regarding the presets related to lights and other preset specific functions and differences?

Thanks again for the quick answers!
Regards, Ron

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 pm

this is a good idea, and we will try to work up something like a comparison chart.