Tree Challenge

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Re: Tree Challenge

Post by Gareth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 am

nice one Majid.... :^:

....ok fess up....how did you do it...!!??

majid
SketchUp: make 2017

Post by majid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 am

thanx for kind words... it is a part of a work in progress, btw here is the model. also guess, it is a bit far from challange goals I guess
Attachments
majid foliage.skp
(547.56 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
model.jpg
model.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 11897 times

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:09 pm

The within TWL technique (Soji one) didnt work for me so insisted on Kerky materials, now all is fine!
Here's a small part image...a sort of teaser ;) .
More to come soon on my Blog:
http://archigrafix-architectureinfograp ... gspot.com/
Attachments
CLOSE_2.jpg
CLOSE_2.jpg (109.8 KiB) Viewed 11874 times

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Very nice Majid...
Of course Challenge in SU is all about dealing with high poly limit..!
I am working on a method to get landscape scenes (for example) inside sketchup...
Modeling a Plant or any organic thing inside SU is not easy but building a scene with several of those plants is almost impossible in SU...almost! ;)
Dont hesitate to contact trough my blog I am going to build a special message around this "challenge"

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:08 pm

archigrafix wrote:Here's a small part image...a sort of teaser ;) .
yes, looking good so far, hoping for a higher res. version... soon.

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm

...here things are coming...Small part of an image I have composed...Dealing with more than 700 000 faces.
My technique is improving and I think I'll soon (..!?) be able to propose a very organised method with templates and Tuto to create many kind of real 3Dtrees... 3D trees that you can use smartly in sketchup

Some more stuff...follow the link:
http://archigrafix-architectureinfograp ... chive.html
Attachments
The river paysage...
The river paysage...
B_4.png (300.62 KiB) Viewed 11827 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:01 pm

looking/sounding good, Archigrafix, thanks for keeping us informed. :^:
You should think of importing the OBJ of the CGarchitect lighting challenge #24 into SU, and applying your techniques in that scene, keep us posted on your progress.

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 pm

ahhhh nice joke Fletch...Importing an "obj" scene of more than 1 million polygone in Sketchup, it's not a challenge it's a suicide!!! My Sketchy is dead!

Seriously, idea is not to import mega scenes. I dont see no interest to import that type of scene in SU when I could much better deal with it in MODO or MAX.
If I was a "pure" illustrator" I think I would have for long switched to those softwares. If I keep working most the time in SU it's because of his Sketchy conceptual qualities...
As an Architect and Designer most of my use is volumetric trials of projects. Which imply constant changes, trials, and so on... SU is very good for such things.
As Concept goes more advanced we want to go further in the visualisation side...Adding more details, context etc...there's now several nice renderer to work inside or just beside SU, but then we have to face high poly limitations. Thats not because of my architectural models: I am more on the Lecorbusier side than the Ricardo Boffil !!! It's most the time because of the context details, and especially because of trees and plants!
That's the reason of this challenge. Even at the illustration stage I do have to change things. In real Project conditions Changes come everytime you show something to someone...from my own experience ;)
So I dont like exporting to "pure" 3Dpackage or to say the least: later I do it better I feel.

Losing time and nerves (when deadline comes) in export process, gets you out of the creative thing and puts you in the engineer side.
...My Quest for those "Smart 3Dtrees" or even all organic work in SU is a consequence of the above.
I am looking at the best possible quality but always keep in mind the polycount, the easyness for modifications, and the rendering times
I hope my (english) explanations do clarify my vision of this challenge.

NOTE:
1)Yes I will soon test Architectural Project integration with some trees
2)The "obj" you point for download is exactly what I want to avoid...Very heavy and little ugly no?! :D

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 am

sorry - I didn't realize it was > 1mill. polys. :oops: I was about to try to import it myself... now I may not. :?
There's a scene simplifier script that is a polyreducer of sorts, I can't recall which one it is , but perhaps it comes with Subdivide and Smooth plugin?

Looking forward to seeing your trees develop.
You may want to talk with Tomsdesk as some of his trees also seem aimed similar to your challenge here. ;)