Best form of attack for a newbie

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
leedeetee

Best form of attack for a newbie

Post by leedeetee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi guys,

I'm determined to get to grips with Twilight before xmas (and thats subsequently because I am determined that 2011 is going to be a good year!).

Anyway, I've had a read through of the manual, looked at the vid tuts and have started doing VERY basic renders (a plastic ball on a shiney surface!) and messing about with the various settings.

I guess i'm asking if this is the best way or starting to get to grips with Twilight. I love producing models of buildings but am i right in thinking I'm probably best avoiding these for the time being, until I become more experienced? I seem to remember reading something about perhaps modellign something in my home, or a scene within it, would this be a good start?

Sorry for the ridiculous questions, but any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much for reading.

:)

Oh, one more thing, I have a license question, I have installed Twilight on two laptops at home, but one of them is basically kaput. Is it possible to transfer this license to my works machine?
The above is probably a stupid question. Thank-you for your patience.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Best form of attack for a newbie

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:32 pm

:welcome: leedeetee,

Best place, in my opinion, for a person new to Twilight is to start with all the master list of great free stuff. :D (My second favorite place is Best Of Tips and Tricks - The Master List.)

Each link there will teach you something, and give you something to work with. There are components, lights, and several small test scenes, and a few very large test scenes to try. Some skies, and trees, etc.

Replicating a view I liked of a simple-looking space on an architectural magazine was a favorite place for me to start to learn, especially since you will learn by doing, yet have a reference of what it should look like in the end. (The very first image in the User Manual was done by exactly that method, as was the pool and house in the video tutorial ~ which you can download from this forum.)

I have always learned best by doing. But by watching the videos, and reading the manual, you already know more about Twilight, I'm guessing, than most users. So, it's time to dive in.

Yes, you can transfer the license. You must install Twilight on the other machine, and re-request the license, providing an explanation why you needed to re-request the license in the email you must send.

leedeetee

Post by leedeetee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 am

Thanks very much for your prompt and throough response. I will look forward to having a look at all you have suggested - thats what weekends, where the wife is away, were made for! :D
The above is probably a stupid question. Thank-you for your patience.

sshiffermiller
SketchUp: 8

Post by sshiffermiller » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 am

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have fun!
:^:

SectionAA

Post by SectionAA » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Fletch wrote: :welcome: leedeetee,

Best place, in my opinion, for a person new to Twilight is to start with all the master list of great free stuff. :D (My second favorite place is Best Of Tips and Tricks - The Master List.)
When I click "master list of great free stuff" I get message "You are not authorised to read this forum."

Is there a way to register for this link please?
I am registered and logged in to Community.

Thanks.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 am

SectionAA wrote:When I click "master list of great free stuff" I get message "You are not authorised to read this forum."

Is there a way to register for this link please?
I am registered and logged in to Community.
That section is only available to licensed users... :)
So if you have a valid TWR license, you will get full access to the "Red Carpet Club"...

The username of Registered users are marked with a clear orange color...
Your user status is green and thereby you're not authorised to access the "Red Carpet Club" area...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

SectionAA

Post by SectionAA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Thank you very much.
I hope to correct that issue in the near future.

My other problem is red-green deficiency. Sketchup's axes colours give me a lot of trouble, well blue is alright.
Cheers