Can I change path for all Twilight files?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Can I change path for all Twilight files?

Post by derei » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:27 pm

After installing Twilight 1.4.5 under SU8, on Windows7 Ultimate 32bit, I noticed that all paths are referring to Google Sketchup 7 directory. Is there a way to change this without manually browse for each one (there are many).
I tried reinstalling it, but the path did not changed. Als, I tried to modify options.xml from %APPDATA%/Twilight, so the paths to trigger to Google Sketchup 8, but the file seems to be rewritten.

Is there a way to correct this? to change the paths in the right manner, but to not be forced to browse manually for all paths? Or this is a Twilight issue (and, of course :mrgreen: , it will be solved on a future release) ?
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Can I change path for all Twilight files?

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Option 1
If you have already uninstalled SketchUp 7 without uninstalling Twilight first, you can delete your preferences file, then re-install Twilight to SketchUp 8. It should then create a new fresh preferences file with the paths correct for SketchUp 8.

Your path for finding that preferences file should be something like this:
Windows 7: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Twilight\

Deleting the whole Twilight folder should get you to the point where you can re-install to SU8 and have it path automatically correctly. It will not delete your license, so this may be the fastest way to go.

Or you can find the options file in there, open it in a text editor and change the paths manually very quickly.

Option 2
If you do not uninstall Twilight first before uninstalling SU7, it will use the preferences for materials and file locations set up in SketchUp 7. This feature was to allows users the convenience of upgrading to next maintenance version without trouble. As maintenance versions come out much more frequently than versions of SketchUp, this is not normally an issue.

You should, if planning to delete SketchUp 7, Completely uninstall Twilight first. This will not uninstall the preferences file. (before doing so, remember to make sure you have your license file info from your initial license email.)
If you wish, you can follow the guide in the user manual for doing a complete uninstall. (Hint: there is an "uninstall" file in your SU7 Plugins folder)
Then install Twilight to SU8, and, if necessary, activate your license from there using the key from your original license email. You should not need to generate a new key.
Fletch wrote:Twilight stores your user Option Preferences safely in a program file location completely separate from your installation(s) of SketchUp. (such as materials location, presets, or language choice)

Therefore, if you want to install SU8, no problem. Twilight will find the license that was used with SU7. But it will also likely read the materials from the SU7 plugins/twilight/Materials folder.

So, if you intend to then UNinstall SU7 after you already installed SU8 and Twilight into SU8, now Twilight will be looking for the materials and presets in the SU7 folder, but the folder will be gone.

This is not a problem.

Open SU8, click the Twilight Toolbar Settings icon with the gear on it. And point the paths for materials and settings to the proper folder for SU8/plugins/Twilight/etc.
You then need to shut down and re-open SU8 to see the changes.

Please let us know if this is not working for you.

:idea: :!: :>: BEFORE you have uninstalled SU7, If you have special materials packages or render settings that you have installed in SU7 and wish to use them in SU8, then, be sure to copy the materials and render settings folders over to SU8's Twilight Plugin folder.

jim

Post by jim » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Any possibility to install Twilight to a custom location? I keep a shared Plugins folder for the current and last version of SketchUp for testing scripts and plugins without needing to sync folders.

So I use, for example, a c:/Plugins folder for SU 7 and 8. But Twilight doesn't like to be installed outside of the default Plugins folder, apparently.

pdwyer
SketchUp: 2013

Post by pdwyer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:07 pm

:o I asked this question a month ago and was looking for option 1 !!!! Doh

Well, atleast next time I won't have to do them one at a time from the gui again <sigh>