Clock (Thanks Fletch)

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
pdwyer
SketchUp: 2013

Clock (Thanks Fletch)

Post by pdwyer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks for your help on this a while back Fletch, with your advice on the lighting (to get the hand shadows) and then the green edge glass lib I finally got to where I wanted to be with it!

Cheers
clock9.jpg
clock9.jpg (136.8 KiB) Viewed 6451 times

paappleb
SketchUp: 8.1

Re: Clock (Thanks Fletch)

Post by paappleb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Very nice job :^: My only suggestion would be to increase the amount of segments that make up the clock face. It looks a little rigid around the edge.

pdwyer

Post by pdwyer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah, I modelled that a little while back, before I knew that smoothing didn't effect the ends for some reason. I set it to 24 so as to mark the clock numbers easily and haven't been bothered to redo it

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Oh yes, that's a keeper!
(I've had good success with the very first glass in the green edge glass library. ;) )

Yes, smoothing just make it looks smooth at the angle between segments, it doesn't add geometry to the scene.
I find 48 segments works for most curves. I only use less with very small objects I will see from a distance, like spindles of a balustrade or things like this.

derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Post by derei » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:10 pm

pdwyer wrote:Yeah, I modelled that a little while back, before I knew that smoothing didn't effect the ends for some reason. I set it to 24 so as to mark the clock numbers easily and haven't been bothered to redo it
you could set it to 48, it's still a multiple of 12. As I know, smoothing doesn't affect geometry profile, just the way surface appears. I read a while ago about this, something about vertex interpolation, so if you have a disc and see it from front, there is no way to interpolate that. Also a sphere... it can look smooth on curved area, but on the edge you will see straight lines.
Anyway, it's a very nice model! Is it your concept, or an existing model that you created in 3d?
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

pdwyer

Post by pdwyer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:24 pm

My only modelling experience before SU was blender and it's smoothing didn't have this issue on the edge of a cylinder, I'm not really sure of the how and why so it took me by surprise. I've only been using SU a few months. It's quicker to model with than blender though and I was never artistically skilled enough to use the organic modelling techniques so the extra power of blender in that area was wasted on me anyway. Besides, I'm getting better rendering results now than I was with Blender/Yafaray as I didn't have an unbiased renderer. I tried Lux once but after several hours on a simple glass it never converged to anything nice. I'm much happier now :)

This clock is in my living/dining room :) If you look closely at the model of the clock face is says:

"Paul's Dining Room"
"CLOCK"

The real clock doesn't say that though, it just says "Quartz" there

:D

I guess I should redo the face with some more sides...