rooms

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: rooms

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Massimo, getting back to the image, I am impressed by it very much. The texture work is really well done, and the atmosphere in the image is excellent. :clap:
It is as photo-realistic as I could ever hope to get. The detail of how each floor level is different is so typical over here. 8-)

If you are looking to add interest, perhaps a couple pieces of the parquet flooring in the center room could be missing/removed and/or laying up on the floor or something.
I'm looking in this piece for a "story" behind the image... what happened here, what was this place, what did the people leave behind.

Indeed, I've seen many "strange" doors and handles combinations around Europe. Have even had apartments that still use the old-school skeleton keys. Never saw that in the States. 8-)

massimo
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

Post by massimo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks Fletch. :)
I'm looking in this piece for a "story" behind the image... what happened here, what was this place, what did the people leave behind.
Exactly. It's an image which try to represent what you can't see because it's gone away. I thought I'd add something somewhere, but then I decided to have a "neutral" and empty scene (basically I've tried to evoke the "lack of something"...) and leave the viewer to fill it with images about the past life in these rooms. Maybe with the help of some sign on the walls.
The detail of how each floor level is different is so typical over here.
Yeah quite common. For example I have friends in Girona who sometime expand their house "stealing" a room from neighboring buildings. The result is that the floors are all at different heights. :lol:
Have even had apartments that still use the old-school skeleton keys.
Is a "skeleton key" something like the picture below (the photo is taken in my apartment)? Because we have tons of these here. :lol:
Attachments
chiave.jpg
chiave.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 11765 times
Last edited by massimo on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:52 pm

yep, that's the one. ;)
It leaves the classic "keyhole" in the door to "peep" through... these exist in the States, but I never saw one where I am from. Aren't they easier to break into? :?

massimo

Post by massimo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:06 am

Aren't they easier to break into? :?
Yeah surely, but they remain in use mostly in interior doors nowadays. I see those still used for exterior doors in some church or mountain cabin. :)

Mocki010

Post by Mocki010 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Massimo - This looks just great - I will try my very first steps with twilight - we will see the results - Ißve some problems with this licencing files and so on.............. :)

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Very impressive!!!!!!!!!!

You created the textures especially for this model I suppose? what size?
Light through the curtain is particularly nice and real!

massimo

Post by massimo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks archigrafix. :)
You created the textures especially for this model I suppose? what size?
Yes, mostly, and it was a bit of work... :lol: I wanted for this shot all homogeneus and clear colours. For all the materials were used only bump maps (no specular) and Twilight's templates.
-The foreground wooden floor is not seamless and is from CG textures (WoodPlanksPainted0092_3_L). Size of the texture 2800x1800;
-the background wooden floor is from Arroway and was made of the same tone of the other with PS's "match colour" feature.
For the floors was used a paint (semigloss) template with a bump map (size=1) and some plank was extruded.
-The walls was made with a grunge plaster texture (don't remember where I got this) that I made seamless with Pixplant and a lot cleaned with PS (made that less grunge... :lol: ). Then I've applied the star and the hand's mark. Size of the texture 2600x1900;
For the plasters was used a stone (natural) template with a bump map (size=0,8).
-The varnished wood of the door and the skirting boards comes from a photo made seamless with a free plugin for PS called "Tiler" by Richard Rosenmann (Pixplant is not very good for wood). Then it was desaturated a bit and were applied in PS the white stains and the scratches taken from other photos. Size of the texture 4300x3300.
For the varnished woods was used a paint (flat enamel) template with a bump map (size=0,8).
The curtain's mat was made in Kerkythea and I've posted it here on Materials & resources section of the forum (be careful, long render time).
Hope that helps, and I will post some texture I've made if anyone is interested. :)

massimo

Post by massimo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Ooops Mocki didn't see your post, sorry...Nice to see you here. Welcome and thanks. I'm sure we'll have some great image from you. :D

rclub24

Post by rclub24 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm

I completely understand the reason for such little handles in Italy. Have you seen those little cups of coffee they drink? :shock:

But in Ireland we prefer this type of coffee in the morning...

Great render Massimo, simply stunning :^:
I don't drink these days as i'm allergic to alcohol.
I breakout in handcuffs!

http://richardobrien.moonfruit.com/

massimo

Post by massimo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm

:rofl: Thanks Rich :rofl: