this is my first rendering using twilight...feel free to comment.. :roll:
Attachments
a copy.jpg
a copy.jpg (294.41 KiB) Viewed 4755 times

sshiffermiller
SketchUp: 8

Re: my first rendering

Post by sshiffermiller » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:22 pm

I like it. The materials look pretty good... I think the material of the seats and wheels could use some work though. The bumper needs to be smoothed and grouped to get rid of the visible facets.

Out of curiosity, what is putting the top right of the image in shadow?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello, Mattapir,
If you are a licensed user of Twilight, please send an email to licensing at twilightrender dot com and tell us your login name and email used for accessing the forum, include a copy of your licensing info email you received from us. In this way, you will be given full access to the site, including the red carpet area with many great free resources.

Meanwhile, all the best car renderings you see on any 3D application page these days are done with the car inside of a "photo studio". This is typically a spherical image in the .hdr format that contains the "look" of a real photography studio. Or the .hdr could be of a nice outdoor location in which to place your vehicle.

Use the car glass in the Translucents Material library.

So, it is suggested to place the car onto a "screen" that looks like the background screen in a photo studio. Then, set the sky to "spherical" and load a .hdr spherical photo studio into the sky image. Then render. It will render quickly on Low render setting for quick testing. When you think you have a great dynamic viewpoint with your camera, create the scene in SketchUp with the "add scene" and then render that scene on Easy 09.

free screens for photography in SketchUp/Twilight
about product photography
great thread about lighting your object on a screen for photography in SketchUp/Twilight. It includes example light studios and free hdr links for download. Study it carefully and you will learn a great deal!
study the tips and tricks to become great in Twilight.

pdwyer
SketchUp: 2013

Post by pdwyer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 am

smoothing can be done in the twilight material setting under "weld edges" with a number set for degrees, it's not really based on the SU settings for smoothing

Try one of the progressive renders too (easy 9) and it should look good even before spending more time on the lighting. it should make the wheels look more "on the ground"

good for first render though

There are some "car paint" materials on this forum somewhere too, that could save you some time on getting the reflectivity just right