Got an idea for a product design, don't know what to do next

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Got an idea for a product design, don't know what to do next

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Got an idea for a product design?
Did you know you can bring your product to market yourself? You could build the product in SketchUp, render it in Twilight and make a video to raise funding.

Here's a professionally done example. (this example was not rendered in Twilight... but could have been)
Kickstarter.com wrote:Kickstarter is the largest funding platform for creative projects in the world. Every month, tens of thousands of amazing people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, art, technology, design, food, publishing and other creative fields.

A new form of commerce and patronage. This is not about investment or lending. Project creators keep 100% ownership and control over their work. Instead, they offer products and experiences that are unique to each project.

All or nothing funding. On Kickstarter, a project must reach its funding goal before time runs out or no money changes hands. Why? It protects everyone involved. Creators aren’t expected to develop their project without necessary funds, and it allows anyone to test concepts without risk.

Each and every project is the independent creation of someone like you. Projects are big and small, serious and whimsical, traditional and experimental. They’re inspiring, entertaining and unbelievably diverse. We hope you agree... Welcome to Kickstarter!

Thanks! All done.

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Re: Got an idea for a product design, don't know what to do next

Post by d12dozr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Kickstarter has had some amazing success stories...the latest one (still in progress) is the Coffee Joulies project. Two guys designed a product that absorbs heat from your coffee until it is at the right temp, then releases the heat when the coffee starts getting cold. They asked for $9500 funding, and currently have $172,025 pledged, and are on track to reach $200K!! At least one of the designers quit his day job to meet the demands of production :clap:

Glif - iPhone 4 Tripod Mount & Stand is another great story...$137,417 pledged of $10,000 goal.

Pretty pictures/renders definitely are a HUGE selling point for these products. As for me, I've been trying to think of the next big thing :mrgreen:
-Marcus

Boofredlay
SketchUp: 2014

Post by Boofredlay » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I never heard of Kickstarter before today, thanks for this. Maybe I could get this bookcase clip funded.
(rendered with Twilight ;))
Attachments
I_01.jpg
I_01.jpg (47.09 KiB) Viewed 7565 times
I_02.jpg
I_02.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 7568 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Absolutely, it's a nice idea too! :^: