Perforated Metal

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Perforated Metal

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Gareth - go to Google and type "perforated metal texture"
Look at the images and find those that are .png format, as they will most likely contain the transparent perforation already done for you.

I found this in first hit (3 secs):
http://www.bittbox.com/freebies/free-se ... al-pattern

I would explain to you how to create a seamless perforated pattern in Photoshop, but I do not think it will help you much, as it's sort of a "one-off" for you, and a teensy-bit complicated for beginners with Photoshop. Also, I believe you use Gimp, right? So the explanation would be useless. :?

OOPS
I checked out the .png files and they still didn't contain the alpha channel (transparency channel)
So I've attached 2 of those images I found with transparency included for your convenience.
The "displacement" one can be used in the bump channel. :hat:
Attachments
metal_perforated_pattern.png
metal_perforated_pattern.png (87.45 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
metal-expanded-displacement.png
metal-expanded-displacement.png (164.89 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
metal_perforated_pattern_bump.png
metal_perforated_pattern_bump.png (135.57 KiB) Viewed 11468 times
metal-expanded-pattern-transparency.png
metal-expanded-pattern-transparency.png (21.32 KiB) Viewed 11467 times

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 pm

massimo wrote:Not sure i understand your question Gareth. :! You have a PNG image that has transparency (the holes) so you can import it in SU as a texture and apply it on a face or as an image. It will retain his transparency in SU. Then just apply a metal template to it and you have a perforated metal panel.
sorry massimo....i didn't word that particularly well...but my question is in your reply because i don't have a PNG image, so what i meant to ask was how do i make the PNG image from scratch..?

..i will eventually need a specific hole configuration (eg hole diameter, spacing of holes and the geometric arrangement of the holes)...i made one in SketchUp, and in Gimp i did the Alpha stuff and saved it as PNG....it was ok from a distance but the holes looked pretty ragged when viewed close up....and I used 50 edges on the holes...!.....so i am thinking there is more to creating a good PNG image..!

....in the meantime, i have downloaded the file from Fletch's post (thanks Fletch)....that will suffice for a while while i experiment with getting an image on to the perforated metal screen (i am still struggling with that part....!) which, for now is probably more important than the hole configuration

massimo
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

Post by massimo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 am

sorry massimo....i didn't word that particularly well...but my question is in your reply because i don't have a PNG image, so what i meant to ask was how do i make the PNG image from scratch..?
You don't need to start with PNG images. Pick a good perforated metal texture or make your own pattern in an image editor + a silhouette and then follow the explanation I've posted (I've used JPGs in that example). You'll end with a PNG image with transparency to use as texture or import as image in SU. I don't know GIMP at all but I assume it's not really different from PS.
Here is a version of the explanation with only the perforated metal.
Cattura_1.JPG
Cattura_1.JPG (522.02 KiB) Viewed 11437 times
Cattura_2.JPG
Cattura_2.JPG (721.47 KiB) Viewed 11438 times
Cattura_3.JPG
Cattura_3.JPG (606.02 KiB) Viewed 11436 times

massimo

Post by massimo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:38 am

And here is a quick render of the perforated texture.
Attachments
render.jpg
render.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 11432 times

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 pm

yep....i've pretty much got that part taken care of....although there are some tricks with scaling and making sure the holes finish within the edges of a sheet etc

....now i need to get my head around the other aspects of Gimp (layers and merging etc)

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:24 am

i am beginning to have some success with Gimp.....thanks for all your help (and patience...!) so far

...would you believe i can accomplish what i need to achieve for the perforated metal screen with an image in Thea in about 2 minutes without the need for Gimp...which is kind of cool but but i wont be rendering the model there and i don't think it is possible to get it from Thea into Twilight, which is unfortunate because it was something I was unable to achieve in Kerkythea.

Unfortunately, I can't post images of the building model with the screens (due to confidentiality reasons for the time being) but i will see if I can post some images of the perf screens in a few days if i can resolve the scaling issues and position of the holes which now seems to be the next hurdle (and finding suitable images to place on them)

It is possible the relationship between the holes and the edges might not be a big issue if the camera is positioned at a reasonable distance from the screens (8-10 metres or more) and the smaller the perforations the less important it becomes. But in the event that i have some close up images it suddenly places some importance on that detail.

massimo

Post by massimo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 am

This is a possible workflow with SU+an image editor...
Cattura_1.JPG
Cattura_1.JPG (283.95 KiB) Viewed 11391 times
Cattura_2.JPG
Cattura_2.JPG (341.84 KiB) Viewed 11392 times
Cattura_3.JPG
Cattura_3.JPG (305.44 KiB) Viewed 11389 times

massimo

Post by massimo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 am

Cattura_4.JPG
Cattura_4.JPG (363.35 KiB) Viewed 11386 times
Cattura_5.JPG
Cattura_5.JPG (135.04 KiB) Viewed 11383 times

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:57 pm

looks good.....but sorry mate, you've lost me again :oops:

i'll take another look after i've had some sleep..!

massimo

Post by massimo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

but sorry mate, you've lost me again :oops:
Gareth, the last set of images tries to explain just a possible workflow if you wanted your perforated metal not related to the silhouette, so you can scale and place correctly the metal texture in SU without affecting the silhouette image. Then, when you're satisfied with the result you can use the previous techniques in order to apply the image on the perforated metal and import back it in SU retaining the exact position and size. :)