I am not impressed

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
TSPCo

I am not impressed

Post by TSPCo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Here is a render that I just did, I have done this scene with other rendering software, and didn't have any issues.
The poles outside are straight, not curved. It seems TWR doesn't know this, the window frames are also straight, as are the edges of the monitor in the foreground. This was done in preset 3.
What do I need to do different to make this scene better? I had this edge issue in another project, it was bad enough I removed a part that was important to the scene.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: I am not impressed

Post by Fletch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 pm

You are using realistic glass on your glass. This is causing it to refract.
For architectural renderings, you need to use architectural glass template.
Use template "Architectural Glass>Common"

You need light inside the space to light the space. It does not get faked like in other software. Place lights where they would be in real life, and at powers they would be in real life.
Think like a photographer as well, you would adjust the exposure setting on a camera for interior shots - same with Twilight. Increase exposure in the Camera Tab of your Rendering Dialog.

TSPCo

Post by TSPCo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Ok I will try that, but the light on these new images (I accidentaly deleted the first one) is just coming from outside no lights inside, except the monitor. The new render
The original SU model
I need to go to work now I will check this later.

derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Post by derei » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Glass in windows needs to be a single plane, no thickness if you use Architectural Glass. And pay attention to materials inside the room (wall paint especially), because the indirect lighting in a room is highly influenced by wall reflections. As Fletch said, think as in real life... especially for unbiased rendering presets (Easy9, 10), what happens is very close to real life. Biased presets cheat a little, indeed (fake emitters, for example). But, if you want realism, use progressive!
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

You are choosing to use realistic glass, but most likely you aren't using a realistic model. My guess is you are only using a single surface for your windows; because light goes into the glass, but never comes out it's as if your camera is sitting inside a giant block of glass. No wonder you are seeing so much refraction. If you want to use realistic glass your window models need thickness. Otherwise, as already suggested, use Architectural glass which has no refraction.

Also, check you index of refraction. I was only able to reproduce the extreme amount of bending your image shows by using diamond for the windows (which obviously is inappropriate).

Architectural glass with no refraction
arc.jpg
arc.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
Realistic glass. Note how much the outside is "lensed"
glass.jpg
glass.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
Realistic diamond. Note the extreme amount of bending like what is seen in the original image above
diamond.jpg
diamond.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 9049 times

TSPCo

Post by TSPCo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 am

Ok I think I get it. For some reason I was thinking refraction as light passing through, I wasn't thinking distortion.
I will give it a go here in a bit.

TSPCo

Post by TSPCo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:08 am

The new version is rendering, been at it for 40 minutes. 89%. For me that is a long time. Used architectural glass it looks good, I still have an issue with jagged edges, and lights. The lights are fluorescent 2'x4' surface fixtures, that are using the light emitter material template. They are reflecting in the windows, but not really lighting the room, I have them "set" at 500, probably why it is still rendering. Any body figure out how to make linear fluorescent lights work better and render quicker?
I know that incandescent lamps are on the way out in the US, I deal with this everyday at work. I tried an IES light on another model using the same fixtures as this model, I ended up with a round bright spot on the fixture "lens". The rest of the area looked real good, a nice clean rectangle of light and good distribution in the rest of the room would be great. I am beginning to think there is no good way to emulate fluorescent lighting yet available.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 pm

TSPCo wrote:The new version is rendering, been at it for 40 minutes.
Please run this test and post your results:
Subject: How Fast Are You - Official Twilight Scene - Bauhaus Lamp

I still have an issue with jagged edges, and lights. The lights are fluorescent 2'x4' surface fixtures, that are using the light emitter material template. They are reflecting in the windows, but not really lighting the room, I have them "set" at 500, probably why it is still rendering. Any body figure out how to make linear fluorescent lights work better and render quicker?
I know that incandescent lamps are on the way out in the US, I deal with this everyday at work. I tried an IES light on another model using the same fixtures as this model, I ended up with a round bright spot on the fixture "lens". The rest of the area looked real good, a nice clean rectangle of light and good distribution in the rest of the room would be great. I am beginning to think there is no good way to emulate fluorescent lighting yet available.
Light emitting surfaces take a very long time to render with Easy 1-7 render settings.
You will be MUCH HAPPIER (dare I say "impressed") and render MUCH MORE QUICKLY with Twilight if you watch the Light Components Video Tutorial and try using the Light Components.
Subject: Light Components for Twilight

Also, very important, lighting is probably the hardest topic to accidentally jump into with Twilight. You can mess around and get good materials fairly easily, but lighting, you will need to learn a thing or two. Certain render settings render better with certain lights. Read all you can in the Lighting section of the Best Of Tips and Tricks - The Master List.

Here are a couple great topics found there to get you started:
Subject: Color of Lights / Light Render Speed Comparison
Subject: pointlight / light emitter

TSPCo

Post by TSPCo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:40 pm

As usual Fletch comes to my rescue, Thanks man!
Here we have the same scene as yesterday, modified with the right glass, and using the 4X2 light from the Twilight lights library. I did not modify the light, I ran it out of the box, and put on my existing light and re made the component, and arrayed it X and Y.
The result is (ok Fletch) is impressive, needs some tweaking though. 17 minutes render time as opposed to 1hr, 10min, as yesterdays render was.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm

:hat: Glad we could help!
Now, about that cpu... :!